Black History Month

Educating yourself about these 28 days

Shay Lawson, Staff Writer

Everyone knows February is Black History Month, but how did this come to be? Why is this a thing? What is the actual history behind these 28 days?

The first step to educating yourself about this month is identifying what it is. History.com identifies Black History Month as, “an annual celebration of achievements by African Americans and a time for recognizing the central role of blacks in U.S. history.”

The event grew out of “Negro History Week,” and ever since 1976, every U.S. president has officially designated the month of February as Black History Month.

Which makes sense because February tributes to African-American men and women who have made significant contributions to America and the rest of the world. Individuals like

Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, Muhammad Ali, Harriet Tubman, Maya Angelou, and President Barack Obama, plus several other African-Americans who’ve made an impact on history.

Black history stands for the most troubled times in America and the strength and perseverance it took to overcome such tremendous struggles, showing why we honor the culture for an entire month.Even if you’re not a self-made millionaire like Madam C.J. Walker or a world-renowned sculptor like Edmonia Lewis, Black History Month is a celebration, for everyone.

About the Writer
Shay Lawson, Staff Writer
Shay Lawson is a junior staff writer for “The Tiger Print.” She is a varsity Blue Valley cheerleader, Tiger Mentor and in the Environmental Club. She enjoys listening to music and meeting new people. After high school, she wants to travel and gain as many new experiences as she can. Her life motto is: Expect...
  • Entertainment

Blue Valley Bloggers

• Black History Month

Entertainment

Hole In the Wall

• Black History Month

Entertainment

This Product is Cruelty-Free

• Black History Month

Entertainment

The Rise of a New Industry

• Black History Month

Entertainment

The Best of the Worst Movies to Watch

• Entertainment

Finessing Art College

• Entertainment

Summer Bucket List

• Entertainment

Songs for the Summer

• Black History Month

Entertainment

Summer Must List (indoors, binging edition)

• Black History Month

Entertainment

5 Summer Must-Do’s

Black History Month