Christmas Classics for the Win

Throughout the decades christmas movies have had different aesthetics and this time of the year these iconic films are played over and over again. Ranging from the 1964 classic Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer to the 2003 movie Elf. Although classics like these are family favorites, other holiday movies are beloved by many. 

From the mid 1900’s there was a boom in holiday films. Including: Miracle on 34 street, a Christmas Carol, Scrooge, The Grinch and Santa Claus is coming to Town. Personally I see these movies as icons in American culture. These productions have been watched throughout the decades and recreated. Scrooge is a spin off from a Christmas Carol, both being originally created in the 1930’s. Both these movies have been recreated countless times. The Grinch was made into a million dollar franchise, still being extremely popular. 

Today teenagers and young adults enjoy newer productions. During the 1990s and early 2000s beloved Christmas originals were made. The movies Elf, Home Alone, and Deck the Halls are still household favorites. The paradox repeats itself with these franchises. Home Alone created multiple movies and many spin offs. As well the most popular movies in the 2000’s were recreations of classic films. During this time remakes of The Grinch, Scrooge, and Christmas Carol were very popular. 

Many people love making cookies and turning on Elf while they spend time with family. Going through random Hallmark movies in December is always fun. Although people love newer Christmas movies, the overall scheme of these movies are cliches based on the classics created in the 30s and 40s. Christmas will always be a special holiday for those who celebrate and rejoicing in the warm feeling of classic movies will be a household activity for centuries.

Ashley Brixey-Thatcher
Ashley Brixey-Thatcher, Staff Writer
Ashley Brixey-Thatcher is a senior and this is her first year on staff at BVHS. She worked on her newspaper at her old school. Ashley loves traveling and is a photographer. She is involved in choir and theater at the high school. Outside of school she plays instruments and does horseback riding.