Seniors get involved in Jewish organization

Many students around BV are involved in school activities; however, what isn’t talked about often is curriculars outside of the school community.

Seniors Melanie Schwartz and Sammy Robertson are a part of a Jewish teen movement known as B’nai B’rith Youth Organization (BBYO).

“It’s a global group and provides Jewish teens a place where they can feel like they belong,” Schwartz said. “This group means a lot to me.”

The BBYO establishment in Kansas is a part of the Mid American region, having four councils. Schwartz is a part of the Sadia girls chapter, and Robertson is in the B’not Lev (BNL) chapter.

“We do all sorts of programming including Jewish activities, dinners, meetings, conventions and literally anything as long as someone plans it,” Robertson said.

Schwartz’s older sister was a major part in her joining and becoming such a big part of the organization.

“Recruitment is in eighth grade, and my sister was in Sadia when I was being recruited,” she said. “[My sister] was saying that I should join and I’d say that’s the main reason why I chose BBYO.”

This organization has allowed Schwartz to become secure and open with her religion.

“Before joining I was afraid to wear my Jewish star in school,” Schwartz said. “Now I’m more comfortable with myself and my Judaism.”

Schwartz encourages the younger members to attend the events to become more involved in the community.

“You make so many memories at the events,” Schwartz said. “I met this girl over the summer at a convention and we bonded. Now she’s my best friend.”

Robertson has become more of a leader due to this opportunity.

“It’s opened a lot of doors to grow my leadership,” Robertson said. “I’ve loved being able to plan whatever I want. As long as you put your mind and energy behind something, you can do it.”

BBYO has made a lasting impact on Schwartz.

“As a senior, my time is coming to an end,” Schwartz said. “I love seeing the younger members super excited about what they’re going to do, and I love knowing what they’re going to experience and how fun it’s going to be.”

Emma McAtee
Emma McAtee, Staff Writer
Emma McAtee is a junior and it is her second year on staff. Emma is involved in the musical, Cross Country, Track, Tiger TV, NHHS,Quill and Scroll, and is vice president of the Junior class for Stuco. Outside of school, Emma works at THE Sunset Grill and enjoys being a waitress. Emma enjoys taking film photos and late nights with friends. She’s excited for this upcoming year and to make more memories with the staff members! :)