Developmental Disability Awareness Month celebrates unity

Each March, the National Association of Councils on Developmental Disabilities hosts social campaigns and brings attention to people with disabilities.

March of 2024 was no different. The theme of the movement this year was “A World of Opportunity.”

Throughout the month were parades, art and social media movements. Although the month is over we can still celebrate and lift up people with special needs.

Developmental Disability Awareness Month started in 1987 and has become an annual event.

A proclamation to the public by former president Ronald Reagan urged Americans to encourage people with disabilities to achieve their full potential. The movement also encourages the country to allow more opportunities for those with special needs to lead a productive life.

March is just one month the program at Blue Valley does fun activities. The events they host for students, such as field trips and community events, help them feel included and valued. By doing so, it creates a more inclusive society for everyone.

The program allows a connection to be built through peer-mentorship. Many students volunteer their time and create friendships with the special needs department. Senior Keegan Murray, has been volunteering in the program since sophomore year.

“They’re wonderful people and the greatest, kindest, sweetest kids I’ve ever met,” Murray said. “They’re excited to see me — that really makes me feel at home.”

As well as peer-mentorship, the program is made up of paraprofessionals who spend their career learning and understanding the beauty of special needs. Teacher Danielle Mitchell, who works closely with the Connections program, has loved creating relationships with the people around her.

As she celebrates Developmental Disability Awareness Month, she is reminded that this is not the only social movement that lifts up the community. Para Appreciation Day, which always falls on the first Wednesday of April, celebrates the people working alongside students with special needs.

“We have a lunch to celebrate them and a week of us doing something for the paras to show our appreciation for what they do for us,” Mitchell said.

As we celebrate Developmental Disability Awareness Month, it’s important to recognize the significance of supporting students with disabilities. Mitchell expressed that understanding and learning how to help students with challenges and disabilities is crucial.

Blue Valley uses its resources to create a helpful and welcoming environment for those with special needs.

“[I became a teacher] because of their unique personalities,” Mitchell said. “You just fall in love with each kid because they’re all so different.”

Ashley Brixey-Thatcher
Ashley Brixey-Thatcher, Staff Writer
Ashley Brixey-Thatcher is a senior and this is her first year on staff at BVHS. She worked on her newspaper at her old school. Ashley loves traveling and is a photographer. She is involved in choir and theater at the high school. Outside of school she plays instruments and does horseback riding.