Manager Mayhem

Junior discusses role as manager on two BV sports teams
Manager+Mayhem

Blue Valley offers a multitude of different sports from dive to basketball giving the students an opportunity to get involved in team sports. However, junior Kaitlyn Thompson has embraced a different role in the sports community — manager. 

“My sister was a junior when I was a freshman and I wanted to spend more time with her,” Thompson said. “I was only playing volleyball at the time, but I’ve grown up playing sports, so I wanted to just stay involved in the sports life.”

While the managing job is open for everyone, there are a lot of tasks that they have to handle. Thompson, with a few years experience behind her, has been tasked with getting the teams ready for games and has even been trusted with in-game duties. 

“This year for basketball, I was heavily in charge of the equipment stuff like, especially right at the beginning of the season. I like getting all the uniforms ready for the team and making sure everyone has the schedule set by Erickson,” Thompson said. “Then during games for both softball and basketball, I keep stats and am ready to answer any questions that they have about either our team or the other team because I keep all those records.” 

Thompson has continued to help out both the girls basketball and softball team past her sister’s graduation. 

“I like it, mostly for the sports environment. I love feeling a part of the team without having to do the physical part of it and keeping stats to see during the games, it’s fun,” Thompson said. 

The experience was not just a one-off event but has brought a new perspective to Thompson on what her future might look like. 

“I figured out [from managing that] I want to major in sports management when I go to college and I want to work in the business side of athletics,” Thompson said. “It’s really been a positive experience and has helped me see my future better.”

Nikoo Tahmasebi
Nikoo Tahmasebi, Staff Writer
Nikoo Tahmasebi is a junior and a staff writer. It is her first year on staff and is excited to write about the school events in the coming year. She is also a Tiger Mentor and an officer of the debate team. Outside of school, she works as a lead instructor at a taekwondo studio. In her free time, she likes to go shopping with friends, watch movies, and blast music in her car.