Popular 80’s films make comeback, spur nostalgia

Lately it seems like everyone’s bringing some ‘80s fashion back, so why not bring back some famous movies from the ‘80s? The movies listed below are some of the most popular of all films from the ‘80s.

Sixteen Candles (1984): When Samantha (Molly Ringwald) wakes up on her sixteenth birthday, she expects nothing but the best. Things don’t end up working out the way she’s planned them to, though. With her sister getting married and all the attention set on her, her family forgets her birthday. To make matters worse, she has a huge crush on the most popular guy in school, Jake Ryan (Michael Schoeffling) and the nerdiest kid in school (Anthony Michael) has a huge crush on her. In this popular movie, see how Samantha turns her birthday around and actually gets what she wishes for.

The Breakfast Club (1985): As a punishment for certain mishaps, five high school students end up in Saturday detention. Five students who barely ever interact with each other — the jock, the rebel, the princess, the outcast and the brain — are forced to spend the whole day together. They go behind the school principal’s back and make the most of their day, while learning more about each other as the day goes on.

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986): After a lot of work and convincing on Ferris’ (Matthew Broderick) part,  these three tricky high school students beat the system so they can skip school and go out for the day. While Ferris’ parents think he’s sick, the school principal and Ferris’ sister think otherwise, and they do everything it takes to catch him. With a day full of adventure and a lot of close calls, this popular ’80s movie keeps you watching and is full of hilarious, memorable quotes.

Look Who’s Talking (1989): Mollie (Kirstie Alley), a single mother, is left alone to raise her son, Mikey (Bruce Willis), and starts looking for the perfect man to help support her. However, Mikey’s biological father, Albert (George Segal), comes back, and after Mollie meets James (John Travolta), a cab driver that she starts to fall for, she’s stuck between which man to choose. Not to mention, the movie is full of cute, talking babies, which is the dealbreaker for me.

Other popular 80’s movies:
Annie (1982)
Risky Business (1983)
Ghostbusters (1984)
Footloose (1984)
Back to the Future (1985)
Dirty Dancing (1987)
Big (1988)
The Great Outdoors (1988)
Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (1989)

Riley Miller, Opinion Editor