Musical artists successfully change music styles, genres in most recent albums

Justin Beiber

When considering artists who have changed their sound over time, Justin Bieber is definitely one of the best examples.
We can obviously attribute part of this to his voice maturing — after years of being criticized for his high-pitched voice, he finally sounds like a normal 18-year-old boy.
As he grew older, his music and fame improved tremendously. Just compare how “Baby” or “One Less Lonely Girl” sounds to “Boyfriend” or “As Long As You Love Me,” and you’ll see what I mean.
As his popularity grew, he collaborated with other famous artists such as Usher, Nicki Minaj, Big Sean, Ludacris and Drake.
In his newest album, “Believe,” Bieber experimented with all sorts of genres, including rap, hip-hop, dubstep, motown and dance.
He has successfully been able to adjust his sound according to the current musical trends.
So, whether you’re fangirling over Bieber’s new music, covering your ears every time his song comes on or just respecting him as an artist, you can’t deny he has matured as a performer since his first record deal in 2008.

Taylor Swift

She’s still the artist who writes songs about all her ex-boyfriends.
She’s still the artist who has a song relatable to every aspect of a teenage girl’s life.
She still the artist that all of us — or most of us — have come to love.
Love her or hate her, Taylor Swift is one of America’s best country stars. However, Swift recently tested out a new style in her newest album, “Red,” which was released Oct. 22. This album features music leaning more towards the pop genre and less of a country-vibe. The best example of this would be her song “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together,” which sounds way more pop than any of her songs have been before. Also, “I Knew You Were Trouble” combines the styles of country and dubstep into one catchy song.
In an interview with “TIME Magazine,” Swift said she wanted to push herself out of her comfort zone and make this album different than the others. She also said the fact that nothing is similar on this album is what makes it so interesting. “Red” went straight to the top album on iTunes on the first day.
Now 22 years old, Swift has had many accomplishments since the release of her first album when she was just 16 years old — six Grammy awards, seven Country Music Association awards and over 22 million albums sold, just to name a few.

Anna Wonderlich
Anna Wonderlich, Co-Editor

This is senior Anna Wonderlich’s third year on The Tiger Print as the Co-Editor and Business Manager. When she’s not in the newspaper room, Anna participates in Relay for Life, Tiger Mentors, Site-Based Leadership, Quill and Scroll Honor Society, National Honor Society and hosts at Fortune Wok. Sophomore year Anna placed first in Editing at KSPA regionals last year and second at State. Junior year Anna won a superior rating in advertising at JEA/NSPA Convention in San Antonio. Anna is looking forward to attending the journalism school at Kansas University next year. She especially loves newspaper late nights, parties in the newspaper back room, eating an abnormal amount of food during the class and just being in newspaper with her best friends.

Activate Search