Valentine’s Day: by the numbers

The candies and roses and teddy bears singing lovey-dovey Elvis Presley songs. The jewelry sales and all the expectations of Valentine’s Day. February 14 — a day florists, jewelers and Hallmark certainly look forward to actually has a different history from what we currently celebrate.
According to history.com, the meaning of Valentine’s Day didn’t have original ties to love and couples. Some historians believe Valentine’s Day is celebrated to remember the anniversary of St. Valentine’s death, but others believe it was celebrated to counter a pagan celebration which was a fertility festival dedicated to the Roman God of Agriculture. This pagan celebration was outlawed by the Catholic Church and deemed St. Valentine’s Day by Pope Gelasius. The idea of associating the Saint’s day with love is believed to have come about in the Middle Ages in Europe because Feb. 14 was the beginning of bird’s mating season.
It wasn’t until the 1840’s when Valentine’s Day cards were created and given out. So, although the origin of the holiday is vague, it is clear it has become a major part of culture throughout the years.

Valentine’s Day Stats:

$13.2 billion spent annually on Valentine’s Day

196 million roses are produced for the holiday

53% of women say they’d end their relationship if they didn’t receive a Valentine’s Day gift

8 billion Sweetheart Conversation Hearts produced each year 

15% estimated percentage of women who’ll send themselves flowers

11,000 average number of children conceived on Valentine’s Day each year

65% of Valentine’s Day Gifts are greeting Cards

Kelly Cordingley, Editor in Chief
Kelly Cordingley has been on The Tiger Print staff for three years and is editor-in-chief. She is a senior at Blue Valley and plans to attend the University of Kansas and major in Journalism and Mass Communications. She also works at Beauty Brands. She enjoys watching movies, playing recreational soccer and spending time with friends. Kelly hopes to help bring back another State title for BV journalism.
Activate Search
Valentine’s Day: by the numbers