The Pumpkin Spice Latte Challenge: Popular fall drink compared in price, flavor, color, smell

I tried a pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks, QuikTrip, Take Five and McDonald’s and compared them to decide which is best. They are ranked in order below. Although Starbucks sells the best tasting latte, it is almost four times the price of the Quick Trip one. For those who can’t go a morning without their pumpkin spice latte, I would definitely suggest trying the cheaper option from Quick Trip which is nearly as good.

Starbucks
Price for smallest size including tax: $4.07.
Flavor: Very good. Definitely the best flavor out of all of them. It tastes like a piece of pumpkin pie and also has a cinnamon flavor.
Color: Brown-orange.
Smell: It smells like fall — pumpkin and cinnamon.
QuikTrip
Price for smallest size including tax: $1.29. This one was the cheapest.
Flavor: Very good. The pumpkin flavor is definitely there, but it isn’t too overwhelming. It’s also kind of cinnamony.
Color: Light creamy brown.
Smell: It smells so good — like fall in a cup. They should make candles that smell like this drink.
Take Five
Price for smallest size including tax: $4.85. This one was the most expensive.
Flavor: It’s really frothy and not really pumpkin flavored at all. In my opinion, this one was the least fall-like.
Color: Creamy Brown.
Smell: Smelled more like a cinnamon-type coffee.
McDonald’s
Price for smallest size including tax: $2.29.
Flavor: Way too sugary and sweet. Not really any pumpkin flavor at all, it just tastes like sugar. This one was definitely the worst.
Color: Brown-orange.
Smell: It smells like cinnamon sugar.

Hailey McEntee
Hailey McEntee, Co-Editor
Senior Hailey McEntee is excited for her third year on the newspaper staff. As co-editor, she is looking forward to carrying on the legacy of her past editors. She wants to create a positive atmosphere and make sure everyone has fun. Her absolute favorite thing to do for the paper is design pages — she loves being able to show her creativity. She has an awkward obsession with InDesign. Hailey loves going to youth group at St. Michael the Archangel and going on mission trips, conferences and retreats. She is also involved in Tiger Mentoring, Relay for Life Committee, Quill and Scroll Honor Society and National Honor Society. Hailey plays club soccer for the Kansas Rush Wolves and has played on varsity for the high school since sophomore year — she was named to First Team All-State last season. She is committed to play soccer at Benedictine College starting in the fall of 2014. She is looking forward to a great senior year and making memories in newspaper with her best friends. Follow her on twitter @hay_mac21.
Activate Search