Costumes & Candy

Costumes and Candy to spice up your Halloween season

Noma Kreegar and McKenna Cole

Snack Attack! 

Chocolate was first served in Mesoamerica as a bitter concoction that was believed to give strength to whoever drank it. At one point, it was used as a form of currency due to the immense value of the cacao seed.

Today, roughly two-thirds of the world’s cacao beans are produced in West African countries like Ghana, Nigeria and Cameroon. Those beans are then processed into cocoa, which is used in candy bars like Snickers and Twix — National Chocolate Day is Oct. 28.

According to Time.com, candy corn was invented in the 1880s by Wunderlee Candy Company employee George Renninger.

Originally marketed as “Chicken Feed,” candy corn adopted its current name after Goelitz Confectionery Company brought the candy to the masses at the turn of the 20th century, and soon, sales began to skyrocket.

Due to corn’s link to fall harvest, the candy was associated with autumn and became a Halloween staple by the 1950s. Today the candy has become so successful it now has its own holiday — National Candy Corn Day is Oct. 30.

This salt-water treat became an essential Halloween snack when the Willy Wonka Company debuted its taffy selection in the 1970s.

According to TheDailyMeal.com, more than 890,000 pounds of taffy are sold during the Halloween season.

Candy maker Leo Hirshfield invented the tootsie roll in 1896, named after his 5-year-old daughter,Clara, who he referred to as “Tootsie.”

During World War II, the candies became increasingly popular, as they were used as rations for the troops.

They were credited as “life-saving” when American pilot Frederick Arnold was shot down in the Sahara and was able to sustain himself for several days with only tootsie rolls.

Today these chocolaty treats are enjoyed and rationed by all ages throughout the Halloween season.

Created in regards to the “Spongebob Squarepants” movie in 2004, Frankford Candy launched a gummy version of Spongebob’s favorite food, the Krabby Patty.

This fun treat gave Spongebob fans a small taste of the famous cartoon burger.

Dressed to Impress

Ghost:

Save time and money with this easy yet spooky DIY Halloween costume classic.

Items needed:

1. White sheet
  2. Scissors (to cut two holes for eyes)

Tonya Harding:

Dress up as your favorite Olympic scandal this Halloween season with a costume inspired by the Oscar winning movie “I, Tonya.”

Items needed:

1. Large scrunchie
  2. Sparkly tutu
  3. Police baton
  4. Fake blood

The Nun:

Stay holy on this cursed holiday with a modest get-up inspired by the spine-tingling movie “The Nun.”

1. Veil
  2. Fake blood
  3. Floor-length black dress
  4. Rosary

About the Writers
Noma Kreegar, Editor in Chief

Noma Kreegar is a senior and the Editor in Chief for “The Tiger Print.” She is also involved in Tiger TV and is the vice president of BV’s Young Progressives club. Noma enjoys listening to music, watching youtube videos, and playing with her dogs. Outside of school, she works at Larkburger as a cashier. Noma’s favorite number is 8. She has two dogs, Stanley and Poppy.

McKenna Cole, Managing Editor

McKenna Cole is a senior and the Managing Editor for “The Tiger Print.” In her free time she enjoys hammocking, drag queens, guacamole, serving the elderly at Tallgrass Creek and listening to true crime podcasts. She hopes to attend The New School in New York to study sociology and global studies and eventually obtain her social-working license. Long-term goal: leave the midwest and never return.

• Costumes & Candy

Entertainment

The Danse Macabre: Existentialism and the Seventh Seal

• Costumes & Candy

Entertainment

Songs for Every Occasion

• Costumes & Candy

Entertainment

Blockbuster Hits of 2018

• Costumes & Candy

Entertainment

Guide to Horror Movies

• Costumes & Candy

Entertainment

Street Smarts

• Costumes & Candy

Entertainment

Ways to get Spooky for Halloween

• Costumes & Candy

Entertainment

Makeup Insider

• Costumes & Candy

Entertainment

Muhammad Ollie

• Costumes & Candy

Entertainment

True Crime Podcast: Kansas City Edition

• Costumes & Candy

Entertainment

Blue Valley Bloggers

Costumes & Candy