Guide to Horror Movies

Vince Orozco and Kate Oudejans

Slasher Films

• “Black Christmas”- This often overlooked classic of Christmas horror tells the story of a group of sorority sisters who receive mysterious phone calls from an unknown killer who proceeds to pick them off one by one. This movie is considered by horror fanatics and scholars to be the first modern slasher film, going on to inspire John Carpenter’s monumental slasher film, “Halloween.” For similar films, checkout “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre” and “Scream.”

Sci-Fi Horror

• “They Live”- This Sci-Fi horror showing by John Carpenter tells the story of an unnamed vagabond, played by Roddy Piper, who discovers a pair of sunglasses that reveals both the alien nature of the ruling class and the bleak message of the world around. This critique of capitalism demonstrates the power of horror as a social commentary, while maintaining engagement and suspense. For similar films, checkout “The Thing” and “Invasion of the Body Snatchers.”

Supernatural Horror

• “Rosemary’s Baby”- It isn’t often that one creates a masterpiece. However, if any horror movie deserves this honor, it is Roman Polanski’s magnum opus, “Rosemary’s Baby.” The movie follows the story of a young couple who move into a New York apartment. The young couple then decides to have a baby. However, once pregnant, everything in Rosemary’s life, from her own body to her new-found friends, starts to become very strange. This masterclass in suspense effectively demonstrates the artistic merit of horror films. For similar films, checkout “Hereditary” and “The Ritual.”

International Horror Films

• “Under the Shadow”- This hidden gem of terror clearly demonstrates both the powerhouse of Iranian cinema and the effectiveness of a good ghost story. The film follows a mother living in post-revolutionary Tehran with her daughter and husband. After a dud missile crashes into their apartment building, a superstitious neighbor suggests a djinn may have been brought into their lives by this unexploded missile. The haunting that continues helps solidify “Under the Shadow” as one of the best international horror films to have come out this decade. For other International horror, checkout “La Diabolique” and “Eden Lake.”

Body Horror Films

• “The Fly” – Directed by David Cronenberg, this gory film follows scientist Seth Brundle who has been working on a teleportation device that transfers an object from one pod to the other and his journalist partner, Veronica Quaife, who documents the perfection of the “Telepods.” But when the scientist himself uses it, a small house fly sneaks into one of the pods and fuses its DNA with Brundle, causing a violent and gory transformation into a human-sized fly. The two must work quickly to find out how to stop the rapid transformation from becoming permanent. For similar films, checkout “Videodrome” and “The Society.”

About the Writers
Vince Orozco, Staff Writer

Vince Orozco is a junior staff writer for “The Tiger Print.” Vince’s skills include rapping and writing long essays that nobody reads. In school he is a co-president for National History Honor Society, varsity Scholars’ Bowl competitor, and founder of Philosophy club. Outside of school, Vince enjoys making and listening to hip-hop music, watching movies and reading philosophy. He is a Hip-Hop scholar and expert on all things Kanye West. If you were to play one second of any song from Kanye West’s solo discography, he could tell you the name of the song and the album it appears on. He also is a pinko tankie with a copy of the Communist Manifesto signed by Karl Marx himself. Vince hopes to one day find a vegan bae and together they will become one with the masses and conduct Protracted People’s War and effectively overthrow the capitalist system. His daily routine includes waking up and eating all veggies, no eggs, then hitting the gym and working out — all chest, no legs. Then he makes a smoothie and afterwards makes a movie. His motto is “Screams from the haters got a nice ring to it/every superhero needs his theme music.”

Kate Oudejans, Staff Writer

Kate Oudejans is a junior staff writer for “The Tiger Print.” She enjoys learning about astrology, watching Law & Order: SVU, spending too much money on skincare products, and playing with her dogs, Cooper and Valor. In her free time, she likes to draw and worry about what the future holds. Kate hopes one day she can live in a cottage by the beach and run her own senior dog sanctuary, where she can give old dogs a loving place before they pass away. Her favorite foods are grilled cheese and green curry.

• Guide to Horror Movies

Entertainment

The Danse Macabre: Existentialism and the Seventh Seal

• Guide to Horror Movies

Entertainment

Songs for Every Occasion

• Guide to Horror Movies

Entertainment

Blockbuster Hits of 2018

• Guide to Horror Movies

Entertainment

Costumes & Candy

• Guide to Horror Movies

Entertainment

Street Smarts

• Guide to Horror Movies

Entertainment

Ways to get Spooky for Halloween

• Guide to Horror Movies

Entertainment

Makeup Insider

• Guide to Horror Movies

Entertainment

Muhammad Ollie

• Guide to Horror Movies

Entertainment

True Crime Podcast: Kansas City Edition

• Guide to Horror Movies

Entertainment

Blue Valley Bloggers

Guide to Horror Movies