1989 (Taylor’s Version) Review

Staff writer reviews Taylors Swift’s new album 1989 (Taylor’s Version)
Tribune News Service

Overall Review – 

The first version of 1989 was released in 2014 and was Taylor Swift’s 5th album of her career. It was her first album that was 100% pop and quickly became a fan favorite. This is the 4th album she has rerecorded since losing the masters of her first 6 albums to Scooter Braun. The album is about her moving to New York to achieve her dreams and some music about her romance with Harry Styles.

Style (Taylor’s Version)-

Style has always been one of my favorite songs by Swift. It has an amazing guitar intro and such a fun chorus. Style is probably the only song that I feel didn’t improve with the rerecord. It’s still an amazing song and maybe I just need to get used to it, but I prefer the original version (But I will still stream Taylor’s Version).

Is It Over Now (Taylor’s Version) (From The Vault)

This is my favorite vault track. It (allegedly) tells the story of why Swift and Harry Styles broke up. She uses lines like “Blue dress, on a boat” and “Red blood, white snow” to show real events that happened in their relationship that led to their breakup. Swift also admits that she messed up the relationship by sharing that they were cheating on each other and both knew it, she just kept it from him a little more.

Now That We Don’t Talk (Taylor’s Version) (From The Vault)

This song is about a relationship between two people that are no longer in contact with each other. She expresses that she feels better off without this person in her life. She feels she no longer has to pretend to “like acid rock” or likes to “be on a mega yacht with important men who think important thoughts” just to make her partner happy. I really like the beat of this song and it’s my second favorite vault track from this album.

Say Don’t Go (Taylor’s Version) (From The Vault)

Say Don’t Go is about Swift walking away from a relationship she feels is taking a turn for the worse but knowing she would stay if he just told her to. The other person in the relationship is falling out of love with her and she feels led on. She knows she has to leave, but if he told her to stay, she would. I love how this song uses a slow beat at the beginning of the chorus and then picks it up for the second half.

Slut! (Taylor’s Version) (From The Vault)

Slut! Had many expectations. Some people thought it would be an upbeat song about Swift not caring about people calling her rude names and others thought it might be a heartbreaking song about body image. It turned out to be neither. It is more of a love song. I absolutely love this song, it has some amazing lyrics like “In a world of boy he’s a gentleman” and “Got lovestruck went straight to my head.” It is such a gentle love song and anyone would be lucky to have this written about them.

Suburban Legends (Taylor’s Version) (From The Vault)

I had the highest hopes for this song, I really thought it was going to be my favorite from the vault based on the lyrics. While it didn’t meet my expectations, it is still a great and meaningful song. It’s about Swift leaving her small town and becoming a star but also falling in love. She describes wanting to go to her high school reunion with her boyfriend but eventually realizes it’s not meant to last.

Audrey Erickson
Audrey Erickson, Staff Writer
Audrey Erickson is a sophomore and it is her first year on staff. She is excited to write stories people will enjoy reading. She is also a member of the Blue Valley softball team and plays for Advanced Fastpitch Academy outside of high school ball. In her free time Audrey enjoys listening to music, especially Taylor Swift, hanging out with friends, shopping, and working out.