Spotify “Unwrapped”

editor-in-chief reviews top music of 2023
Spotify Unwrapped

It’s officially the end of 2023 and for some, that means winter break. But for music lovers, it’s time for Spotify Wrapped.

As someone who always has music playing, I’m always curious to know who my Top Artist is and what my Top Songs and Minutes Listened are. Whether walking my dog, doing homework, in class, driving, or even eating, I have Spotify open and music in the background.

This year, I’m going to share and discuss my 2023 Wrapped and my thoughts on my music history from the year.

After listening to 1,289 songs, I listened to music for 34,315 minutes this past year. For 10,307 minutes, I listened to my top artist: Hozier. Due to this, I am in his top 0.05% of listeners worldwide.  My top artists were Hozier, Harry Styles, Noah Kahan, The 1975, and Summer Salt. I am “The Alchemist” as I create more playlists than other people do. My location based on the music I listen to is San Luis Obispo, CA.

My review:

Overall, I think Hozier as my top artist is completely accurate. His music is always playing because he is my favorite artist and there is no doubt about it. While I don’t think Harry Styles is accurate as my #2, or the 1975 as 4, Noah Kahan has an accurate spot at #3 with his music being on repeat no matter what season and Summer Salt’s deserved spot at #5, as they were on repeat over the summer.

I do wish my top songs were not all Hozier, it is accurate why they all would be but I believe the order would be different. ‘Unknown’ is a beautiful song, and probably one of my favorite songs overall, so I definitely listened to it 111 times like it says. I don’t think I listened to “Eat Your Young’ and ‘All Things End’, but because they are some of the first singles Hozier had released in years, I got excited and listened to the songs, hoping more would come. Overall, I’m aware of how accurate my top songs are, I just thought there would be others.

My Spotify Wrapped was everything I excepted and everything I didn’t all at the same time. Although, I now know more than ever that my obsession with Hozier’s music is a lot worse than I expected, but I am okay with it — there is way worse music to be obsessed with.

Rhylan Stern
Rhylan Stern, Editor-in-Chief
Rhylan Stern is a senior and it is her third year on staff. While being one of the editors-in-chief, she is a member of Tiger’s Inc. Strategic Marketing team, SAFE club, Quill & Scroll, Headrush, NHS, and DECA & BPA. Outside of school, she works at Aerie, listens to music constantly and rewatches her favorite shows on Prime and Netflix.