Student Recs

Students give Movie, Book Reccomendations
Student+Recs

Name: Charlotte Warren, 12

What Movie? The Descendants Trilogy

What is it about? “It’s [about] the descendants of all the original disney characters, like belle and the beast have a kid, all the different villains have kids, and they’re all the same age. Its a funny movie, and it’s kind of cringe to watch, [but] they’re just so fun”

Why should someone watch it? “I’m obsessed with them, I think they show a really great message about ‘you don’t have to be what other people think you should be’ — also the songs are so good, I listen to them all the time, [the songs] make me happy.”

Name: Lee Dumler-Montplasier, 9

What Book? The Fault in our Stars

What is it about? “It’s a bit of a love story, about a girl who has cancer, and she meets a guy at a church who also has some kind of cancer. They start [talking] and find out they have a [favorite] book in common. Its a very powerful story.”

Why should someone read it? “It’s kind of an unfortunate message about how we are all human and [we all] have big differences in how our bodies [and brains] work. I feel like it is important to connect with these differences, and The Fault in our Stars really helps connect with that.” 

Name: Zella Allyn, 9

What Movie? Girl, Interrupted

What is it about? “[it is about] a girl who finds herself in a psych ward, and she is trying to get out to meet her boyfriend, but she meets all these people [within the ward] and actually likes to be there, so it gets complicated”

Why should someone else watch it? “It opens you up to [the realities of mental health] and can understand their point of view. It’s a little dark, but that is one of the reasons why I like it so much”

Name: Nick Hays, 12

What movie? Fat Albert

What is the movie about? “Fat Albert and friends look up into the sky one day, and they see a girl crying and they go into the real world. They have to figure out what the problem is, and they try and help her get some friends. They go to a block party. Then, they realize that they’re fading from reality because they’re not supposed to be there. Then he has to go to Bill Cosby’s hose, the creator of Fat Albert, and ask about what he should do. They have to go back into the animated world, but they do solve her problem. [There is] a really sad scene at the end where we’re shown the original cast of what Fat Albert was based off of, and they’re around the original setup. It’s great it’s a really, really powerful moment. 

Why should someone else watch it?I think the themes it talks about are really good. It’s also it’s a classic mid-2000s movie, so you see hip moments. If you’re a fan of Fat Albert, I think you should definitely watch it. Even if you’re not a fan, because it’s it’s really amazing. 

Name? Brett Jones, 9

What Movie? All Quiet on the Western Front

What is the movie about? “A German boy who signs up for the war thinks it’s going to be a really good time with friends but then once he actually gets there it’s not a good time.”

Why should someone else watch it? “It shows people that war isn’t something to be glorified and shouldn’t be honored or whatever. People who go into war should be honored because it’s hard but people shouldn’t want to go.”

Extra Recs:

“Legally Blonde” -David Edwards, 12

“The Creator” -Cooper Crosier, 11

“The Green Mile” -Kevin Thomas, 12

“99 Homes” – Aiden Kern, 11

“Knives out” -Tylar Beck, 10

“Good Girls” -Tova Taubin, 10

“It Ends With Us” -Addyson Sharp, 9

“Cars 2” -Rasheed Mantara, 11

Katie Kennedy
Katie Kennedy, Design Editor
This is junior Katie Kennedy’s second year on the Tiger Print staff, and she is a design editor who’s fav thing is making things pretty (normally in pink). Outside of newspaper, Katie is captain of Blue Valley’s Color guard, performs in Winter guard, does tech theater, and pole vaults. Outside of school, Katie is a lifeguard (even if it gives her chemical poisoning), and enjoys sleeping, playing the sims, and making everything she owns pink, including the newspaper [when Huss lets her, (she normally doesn't let her)].