It Take Two to Tinder

Lizzie Skidmore and Carley Sherer

From competing in a social hierarchy to building relationships, high school students often feel the need to conform to social norms. As these pressures collide with a dependence on social media, it’s no surprise students have taken to online platforms for an answer. The online dating phenomenon is one of these solutions. According to a poll, __ percent of Blue Valley students use Tinder, the most popular application for meeting single people over the internet.

“So how Tinder works is you either swipe left, [which means] you do not want to match with that person or you swipe right [which means] you do,” junior Lunden Elston said. “ And if the other person swipes right, too, then it’s a ‘match’ and you’ll start to message each other and go from there. There’s also swiping up, which is a ‘superlike,’ and they will get a notification that you [did so]. ”

Elston is among BV students who socialize on Tinder.

“I got a Tinder last year because I wanted to meet new people,” Elston said. “It’s a fun time. It’s funny to just mess with people and get attention.”

Unlike most high school users, Elston takes online dating to a new level.

“[I’ve gone out with] a good 30 to 40 people.” Elston said. “I’ve probably gone on a second date with 1 out of every 10 people.”

Not every Tinder user is as committed to finding a serious relationship. Senior Alex Stanek uses the app in a more casual way.

“[I downloaded Tinder] for fun mainly. A serious relationship off of Tinder — is that even a thing?” Stanek said. “You could [meet someone] if you really tried, but it also depends on the person you’re talking to.”

With online dating, Stanek said there are some personal preferences and reservations.

“[I look for] guys who play sports,” Stanek said. “If I see them in a baseball uniform, it’s my thing. [But] I never message first. I’m too self-conscious about it. I feel like if I do, it has to be funny or witty, and I’m neither.”

While Elston’s search may take a different path, he also shared similar hesitations.

“They just have to be really cute,” Elston said. “If I start to talk to them after that and they’re not interesting, I just stop responding. I don’t look at a bio unless it’s funny and I never message first — that’s my one rule.”

Though online dating is prevalent today, Stanek said the quality and authenticity of the connections we make have changed.

“[Dating] has become less personal [because of online sources],” Stanek said. “Instead of meeting people face-to-face and getting to know someone for who they are, we are getting a false first impression through a screen. People can portray themselves as something they’re not, which is disappointing for someone who wants a real relationship.”

About the Writers
Lizzie Skidmore, Staff Writer
Lizzie Skidmore is a staff writer for “The Tiger Print.” On the paper, she enjoys discussing politics and current events. She also likes volunteering at wayside waifs, managing the boys baseball teams, and wasting away her time and money. Lizzie plans on attending Pitt State University to study nursing and gender studies in the near...
Carley Sherer, staff writer
Carley Sherer is a senior staff writer for “The Tiger Print.”  She enjoys writing feature articles and sharing BV students’ stories that haven’t been told.  Outside of newspaper, she has published a poetry book called The Sound in Silence, participates in choir, volunteers at Wayside Waifs and enjoys going to the movies.  Next year she...
  • It Take Two to Tinder

Features

How one Friendship can Change a Life

• It Take Two to Tinder

Features

Spinning Through Color Guard

• It Take Two to Tinder

Features

Music for Change

• Features

New Beginnings

• It Take Two to Tinder

Around Blue Valley

BV senior plans to travel to Israel, study Judaism

• It Take Two to Tinder

Features

Where’s Waldo? Senior Edition!

• It Take Two to Tinder

Features

Committed to the K

• It Take Two to Tinder

Features

Ciao, Italia

• It Take Two to Tinder

Features

Hola, Espana

• It Take Two to Tinder

Features

Finding Success in Song

It Take Two to Tinder