Shooting for the STAHRS

Student attends UMKC medical program

Plenty of students dream of becoming doctors one day, but not everyone gets the chance to participate in university-sponsored preparation programs for the field. Junior Glory Okeowo attended University of Missouri-Kansas’s Students Training in Academia, Health, and Research (STAHR) Scholars Program over the summer, where she and other participants had the opportunity to research various medical careers.

The program allowed students hands-on experiences with different medical professions. The program is six weeks of classes for students to explore and experience different medical professions, like dentistry and pharmaceuticals.

“I feel like I’m so closed-minded on what I want to do, so this [helped] me see what else is out there,” Okeowo said. “I [could] explore and get a better sense of what I want to do.”

Most of the course was online, in structured classes that lasted from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.

“It took up so much time, my whole morning and afternoon every day.” She said, “But it was one-hundred percent [worth it]. This program focuses on engaging, encouraging, and minorities and disadvantaged backgrounds to explore the medical field and it did just that.”

The program advertises itself as an opportunity to experiment with a variety of medical professions, allowing students to get a sense of what they would like to do later in life.

Before participating in the program, many students, Okeowo included, don’t know exactly what kind of medical professional they want to be. Afterwards, however, many of the participants leave the classes having a better understanding of the field and which area of expertise they would like to go into.

“I’ve already my mind on being a physician of some sort – either a pediatrician or a family physician. [The camp] helped me dive deeper into medicine as a career.” Okeowo said.

The program not only provided insight into the medical field and community, it also provided preparation for things like the ACT and college applications.

“My ACT score increased by several points, [and] practicing writing a scholarship essay helped me acquaint myself with the process, preparing myself for the real deal.” She said.

The camp has been given glowing reviews by students that took it, labeled as a place to connect with like-minded people, and a program that empowers minorities and encourages students of all backgrounds to participate in medicine.

“I was surrounded by diversity, and was able to discover my future.” Okeowo said.

Aspen Gallentine
Aspen Gallentine, Staff Writer
Aspen is a junior staff writer, in her second year on staff. At school she’s involved in Latin and taking far too many AP classes. Outside of school, she likes to play dnd and avoid writing her half-finished novel. Her favorite things are horror games and music, and according to her friends: “I’m Aspen, I’m emo - period queen.” (Katie Kennedy, 2023)