STEM: Her Future Starts Here

Senior discusses volunteering at WIlderness Science Center.

Many students have been to the Wilderness Science Center (WSC) in the past, but not many spent parts of their summers there. However, for the last few years, senior Molly James volunteered there.

James’ connection to the WSC goes back further than her time volunteering.

“When I was a kid, I would go to the Wilderness Science Center Camp every summer, like first grade all the way through sixth grade,” James said. “​​There’s a morning session and an afternoon session. You pick one and do stuff all about wilderness science, ecology [and] environmental science. I’ve always cared about the environment so that was really exciting for me to do. I loved the camp. I absolutely loved it. I thought it was so cool that there was this whole ecosystem that’s basically in my backyard.”

Even after James was too old to attend the camp, she continued her time at WSC.

“You can’t do the camp beyond sixth grade, so the summers of seventh, eighth, and now this summer, I was able to volunteer as a camp leader,” James said. “I’ll teach a lesson and I’ll help the kids. It’s basically a normal camp counselor role, but you also do a little bit more like prepping and you take care of the animals while you’re there.”

James’ love for volunteering at the WSC stems from getting to see people connect with nature and science.

“I like seeing kids get excited about science that relates to them. I like people getting really interested in the animals and the lessons,” James said. “This summer, I did help out with a water lesson and a couple or others ones including dendrochronology (studying tree cores) and oil spills.”

James was glad for the time spent at the WSC and will miss it in the future.

“I’m really going to miss it when I go to college,” James said.

Ashling Bahadursingh
Ashling Bahadursingh, Staff Writer
Ashling Bahadursingh is a junior and it is her second year on staff. She likes patterned socks, reads books she doesn't understand to sound smart, and wears too many Queen shirts. She likes the color green. A lot. She never shuts up and likes to write opinion pieces because she wants people to know what she thinks, constantly.