Shamrock Shuffle

Freshman Discusses Irish Dancing
Shamrock Shuffle

When people think of the Irish, they typically think of redheads, shamrocks, and potatoes. Unless they’re freshman Mason White, who thinks of dancing.

White has been Irish dancing for six years, and he’s never thought about quitting. White “never really liked sports,” but he decided to give Irish dance a try when his school first opened.

“It’s really fun to do, and the competitions [are] really fun,” White said. “I get to travel all over.”

White dances with the Heartland Irish Dancers, along with friends and his younger brother.

“At first it was just me, but my younger brother [joined].” White said.

Just this month, White and his troupe danced at Irish Fest over Labor Day weekend. They often travel to perform in parades and shows around the Midwest, and White enjoys the competitive aspect of the activity.

“Irish Fest is a festival that happens in downtown Kansas City every year,” White explained. “We performed a version of Shrek, but it was all Irish dance instead of talking or singing.”

While White enjoys going around the region and performing throughout the year, after all is said and done, his favorite part is “going out to eat after performing.”

Aspen Gallentine
Aspen Gallentine, Staff Writer
Aspen is a junior staff writer, in her second year on staff. At school she’s involved in Latin and taking far too many AP classes. Outside of school, she likes to play dnd and avoid writing her half-finished novel. Her favorite things are horror games and music, and according to her friends: “I’m Aspen, I’m emo - period queen.” (Katie Kennedy, 2023)