A New Direction

Senior discusses latest interest

Many teenagers find their passions early in life and for senior Mattie Thornton volleyball was her passion. Thornton started playing volleyball when she was 9 but has played club volleyball for the last 5 years. However, this fall season Thornton got cut from the highschool team. This was a huge adjustment for Thornton as volleyball had a big impact on her life. 

“I didn’t instantly think that I needed to do a different sport but I was at a loss for what I should do with myself, it was almost like I was going through an identity crisis,” she said. 

Thornton ended up joining the cross country team in order to help her for the Spring Track and Field season. 

“Since I’m no longer playing volleyball I have a lot more time that I can dedicate to other things like running,” Thornton said. “I really want to improve this year in my events and I know that cross country will help me with that.”

Joining cross country was a huge adjustment due to needing to get her endurance up to run a full 5k. 

“I definitely did not enjoy it at first, building my endurance was difficult and getting myself to even want to run multiple miles a day was a big struggle,” Thornton said. “The people helped me get through all of this.” 

The environment of cross country has helped Thornton to enjoy her new experience.

“They are all incredible and were so welcoming when I was coming in as a first-year senior,” she said. “I have become closer with so many people, I knew all of the people and had connections with them but joining cross country has given me the opportunity to further those connections and friendships.” 

Despite the hardships, Thornton is pleased with herself for her determination to join a new sport. 

“If I really commit myself and try my best I really can accomplish anything,” Thornton said. “I know it sounds cheesy but at the beginning of the season I thought that this whole thing was impossible but here I am currently running varsity.” 

Emma McAtee
Emma McAtee, Staff Writer
Emma McAtee is a junior and it is her second year on staff. Emma is involved in the musical, Cross Country, Track, Tiger TV, NHHS,Quill and Scroll, and is vice president of the Junior class for Stuco. Outside of school, Emma works at THE Sunset Grill and enjoys being a waitress. Emma enjoys taking film photos and late nights with friends. She’s excited for this upcoming year and to make more memories with the staff members! :)