Back-to-Back

Business student discusses state championship
Back-to-Back

After returning from Wichita last weekend, the BV Business State team returned from their annual BPA State competition. The team returned home with another 1st place trophy, continuing their back-to-back streak.

“[BPA] is an organization across America that allows students to compete in events where they can practice and grow their business skills,” senior and BPA Kansas State Officer, Charlotte Warren said. “[There are events where] you have 20 or 30 minutes to prepare, then you present to a judge. You get to practice your speaking skills, your interpersonal skills, and it also deals a lot with computer programming events.”

Warren competes in Small Business Management Team and Human Resources Management, placing 1st in HR and 2nd in her team event.

While Warren sticks with presentation and roleplay events, every event and test mattered to help BV Business achieve this win. 

“We beat our rival school, Blue Valley West by one point, so that was really exciting,” she said. “That just goes to show every single person we had compete was important — we came home with another state championship, and we had a lot of our competitors make finals and place top 10, and a lot of students are going to continue to Nationals.”

Aside from her senior year win, Warren’s favorite part of the trip was her time spent with her brother.

“It’s been cool to see him learn and grow his business skills and start to grow a passion for something that I’m so passionate about,” she said. “This has been so important in my high school career, so it was cool to see him sort of grow into what he was learning.”

Even though her time in BPA is done, her business career has just started. Warren has her focus on DECA State next week.

“I’m currently working on that presentation, which I’m super excited for,” Warren said. “Then we’ll go to Nationals. We haven’t gotten our SPE qualifications back, but hopefully, that comes out soon. Then we’ll hopefully already be pre-qualified in that so that if we don’t qualify in other events, some kids have the opportunity to take that to Nationals.”

Rhylan Stern
Rhylan Stern, Editor-in-Chief
Rhylan Stern is a senior and it is her third year on staff. While being one of the editors-in-chief, she is a member of Tiger’s Inc. Strategic Marketing team, SAFE club, Quill & Scroll, Headrush, NHS, and DECA & BPA. Outside of school, she works at Aerie, listens to music constantly and rewatches her favorite shows on Prime and Netflix.