Catching Fame

Librarians discuss turning popular books into movies
Catching+Fame

Although movies are more popular than books among teenagers, fantasy series like “Shatter Me,” “Throne of Glass” and “The Hunger Games” get checked out regularly at the school library.

The fanfare of “The Hunger Games” died down slightly in the late 2010s until the “Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” movie came out last fall.

Now, according to BV librarians Caitlin Neneman and Mary Ellen Gojcevic, the series cannot stay on the shelves.

Despite hearing good things from students, Gojcevic hasn’t read the series, and Neneman is hesitant to watch the new “Hunger Games” prequel movie. Neneman has a lot of book-to-screen movies on her list to watch, as she is a big believer in reading books before the movie adaptations.

“I haven’t been watching a lot of movies,” Neneman said. “A lot of times, they don’t live up to the hype and then I just get disappointed.”

However, she did watch the first three movies in the series.

“I enjoyed [the movies], but I felt like the first one stuck the truest to the book compared to the other two,” she said. “There are so many little details in the books they had to cut out for the movies.”

Gojcevic said it’s always good to read the book first.

“A lot of times in the movies, they have to take pieces out to make it exciting,” she said. “Sometimes they change the plot a little bit.”

Gojcevic said movies based on books are best when the author is included a great deal.

“The [movies] that have been worth it to see are the ones where they’ve included the authors in the screenwriting,” Gojcevic said.

Neneman agrees with Gojcevic in that some movie adaptations are not worth seeing.

“I’m afraid the heart would almost be lost [for some books],” Neneman said.

Dayna Bemiss
Dayna Bemiss, Staff Writer
Dayna Bemiss is a junior and it is her first year on staff. She is excited to contribute to the newspaper with interesting stories, as she loves to read. She also enjoys running track and cross country for the school and is a member of KAY club, NHHS, SNHS, and NSHSS. In her free time, she works as a lifeguard and swim instructor.