Meet BV’s New Head Girls Basketball Coach

A Q&A with Natalie Knight-Johnson

On April 24, BV administration announced that Natalie Knight-Johnson will be stepping into the role of head girls basketball coach. Knight-Johnson had an impressive career as a high school player, earning two All-Big 12 honorable mentions, the Kansas Gatorade Player of the Year title in 2011, the DiRenna Award in 2010 and 2011, a state championship with Olathe South in 2010, and a McDonald’s All-American nominee. Additionally, her coaching career has taken her to MidAmerica Nazarene University and the University of Kansas. Read on to learn more about Johnson, her experiences, and plans for the future in this Q&A.

What are your previous experiences with basketball? Your playing experiences and coaching experiences?

“I started off as a graduate assistant for the KU women’s basketball team after I graduated and then coached one year at Free State High School in Lawrence as the varsity assistant coach. I then coached at MidAmerica Nazarene University for five years before transitioning into this position at BV. As a player, I played 4 years at the University of Kansas after graduating from Olathe South High School. I was blessed to be able to play against the highest level of competition in the country every night and score over 1,000 points. We also made it to two Sweet Sixteens during that time.”

What are you looking forward to at BV?

“I am looking forward to making an impact on and off the court in the lives of these young ladies. Helping them have a great high school experience, and hopefully being able to apply the life lessons learned on the court to their everyday lives when they graduate.”

How will coaching at BV be different from any other coaching experience?

“Coaching at BV will be different because it will be my first time as a head coach. I am looking forward to being able to incorporate all of the things I have learned throughout my career into helping the program become the best it can be.”

What will you be bringing to/changing in the program?

“I am hoping to bring a wave of positive vibes and encouragement that will bring a confidence out of each and every girl that they didn’t know they had. I think if I can do that, then the sky is the limit for our success.”

Who are your assistants/coaching staff?

“The staff we are putting together will definitely be one that everyone will be excited about. A lot of great experience will be added to the staff and I just couldn’t be more excited about the opportunity and vision for the program.”

Knight-Johnson is eager to start her journey with the program as she “can tell all of the people at BV are genuinely good people who want to uplift one another. Not to mention all of the great athletes who have come through the program.”

Ava McGuire
Ava McGuire, Editor-in-Chief
Ava McGuire is the Editor-in-Chief for The Tiger Print. This is her senior year and her third year on staff. Fun fact: Ava has lived in many places throughout her life, including Alaska, Kansas, Missouri, Pittsburg, and Virginia; the east coast being her favorite place she lived. Because of her amazing time as a staff member at The Tiger Print, Ava wishes to pursue journalism and political science at Mizzou or The University of Arkansas. Ava's favorite things about herself are her amazing friends and family and her great hair.