BV defeats Gardner-Edgerton, moves on to State game

Go BV, Go BV, Go.
I Believe that We Will Win.
Peel the Banana.
We want a Tiger touchdown.
These were several cheers the Blue Valley student body participated in at Friday’s sub-state football game against the Gardner-Edgerton Trailblazers.
This marked the fourth time the BV football team advanced to the state semi-finals.
After defeating Gardner last year, the Trailblazers showed BV they would not be taking this game lightly.
After running in a touchdown 26 seconds into the first quarter, Gardner took the lead 7-0.
A few moments later, BV fumbled the ball and Gardner regained possession.
After four, long downs, the ball was back on the Tiger’s side.
With 2:25 left in the first quarter, quarterback senior Kyle Zimmerman ran the ball in for a touchdown. The score was tied at 7-7.
End of the first quarter.
BV had a strong start to the second quarter, with Zimmerman grasping yet another touchdown with 8:29 left in the half.
The extra point was made, and the Tigers continued the lead, 14-7.
On the kickoff, the Trailblazers fumbled the ball and BV got the ball back.
Students chanted, “You let the whole team down” as BV came out on top with the ball.
With 6:28 left in the second quarter, BV stacked up more points by adding 6 to the score board. However, the extra point deflected off the goal post.
As the clock ticked down to the end of the first half, the Tigers had the lead at 20-7.
At the beginning of third quarter, the players came back on the field ready to finish off the game.
Just 17 seconds into the second half, running back senior Justin Fulks carried the ball for a 70-yard touchdown run, raising the score up to 27-7.
For a few minutes, the ball battled between the Trailblazers and the Tigers until Gardner snatched another touchdown with 8:00 left in the quarter. The Tigers still had the lead, 27-14.
As the clock hit 3:50 left in the half, Zimmerman put a 30-yard touchdown under his wing, leading to the final score of 34-14.
After the trophies were presented, the BV student body stormed the field, in celebration of the team’s victory.
With the words of former coach Greg House, “Begin with the end in mind,” BV added a Sub-State Champions trophy to its collection.
The Tigers head to Emporia Welch Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 26 at 1 p.m. to take on the Hutchinson Salt Hawks for the 5A State Championship.
Meghan Kennedy
Meghan Kennedy, Staff Writer
This is senior Meghan Kennedy’s third year on the Tiger Print staff. She is a staff writer who loves writing anything about sports. Outside of newspaper, Meghan plays varsity volleyball for the high school, participates in St. Michael the Archangel youth group FLOCK, Relay for Life, NHS, NSHS, Quill and Scroll Honor Society and BIONIC club. She is planning on attending the University of Kansas and taking a pre-med track. Meghan is awkwardly obsessed with the Kansas City Royals and attends games like it’s a religion. She is always seen eating at every hour of the day, especially apples and iced tea. Meghan is excited to spend her senior year surrounded by her best friends and making life-long memories. Make sure you follow her on twitter: @meg_kenn4.