Construction Update: Stadium renovations require bleacher tear-down

On Jan. 10, construction workers began tearing down the home-side bleachers of Blue Valley’s football stadium as part of renovations for the stadium.
Athletic Director Matt Ortman said the decision for the renovations came from a combination of district and school administrators who saw the need for the update.
Ortman said the renovations were needed due to damage caused by inclement weather over the course of a few years.
“For the last three or four years, we’ve had storms go through that have torn off the back of the stadium,” Ortman said. “So they wanted to make it better.”
The renovations will add decorative brick around the outside of the stadium and will make the press box bigger. The bleachers will also be higher, adding about 700 seats to the stadium. There will be no updates to the away bleachers.
Apart from a few camps, Ortman said the construction will not affect the summer workout schedule of any sports.
“There’s some camps from outside organizations that we’ve had to move to other places,” he said. “But as far as the offseason stuff being done by our coaches and our athletes, there’s no changes to that.”
The renovations are being funded by taxpayers through a bond issue passed by the district last year.
The scheduled completion date for the updates is July 22.
Mitch Sundquist, Staff Writer
Mitch is a senior and a staff writer for The Tiger Print. He also plays varsity basketball for Blue Valley. Outside of school, Mitch enjoys watching movies and hanging out with friends. He also enjoys going to Royals and Chiefs games. He is a huge fan of the University of Nebraska and goes to football and basketball games whenever he can. After high school, he hopes to play college basketball at a small college.