Fast-acting Drug to Cure Depression

Ketamine based drug just supported by the FDA is something you might not expect

Claire Powell, Staff Writer

Recently, a fast-acting cure to depression was approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The treatment is named esketamine, a nasal spray developed by a branch of Johnson & Johnson called Janssen Pharmaceuticals Inc.

The treatment consists mostly of an increasingly available anesthetic, ketamine. During the 1980s and 1990s, it was popular club drug known as Special K.

While the general anesthetic of ketamine is usually having to be paid out of pocket and not approved by the FDA for depression, esketamine would most likely be covered by several insurance plans.

Like ketamine though, esketamine has a high potential for abuse. Both can cause psychotic episodes for those who are high risk.

Because of this, it is required to take esketamine in a doctor’s clinic. The course for this recently approved drug is twice a week, for four weeks, along with boosters as needed. After taking the drug, the patient must be monitored for two hours before leaving the clinic. It is highly recommended that the patient does not drive home and find a different form of transportation.

According to Janssen, the one-month course of treatment will be between $4,720 and $6,785.

Some experts of treating depression are a little wary of the drug because of the mixed results from the esketamine trials carried out by Janssen. In one trial, those who were on esketamine statiscally outperformed better than those on the placebo, but not in the two other trials. Usually, the FDA requires two short-term successful trials of the drug before it’s approved, but this time the agency allowed esketamine to instead study the relapse and how well people did on the drug. Janssen reported that about 25 percent of subjects relapse during this trial juxtaposed to the 45 percent of subjects that received the placebo spray.

According to the New York Times, 16 million American adults suffer from depression; many doctors hope that esketamine will help cure it as well as anxiety and suicidal thinking.

About the Writer
Claire Powell, Staff Writer

Claire Powell is a sophomore staff writer for “The Tiger Print.” Her job is to speak to clients on the phone, about quantities and types of copier...

• Fast-acting Drug to Cure Depression

News

An Enchanted Evening

• Fast-acting Drug to Cure Depression

News

The United Nations

• Fast-acting Drug to Cure Depression

News

New Zealand’s Gun Control

• Fast-acting Drug to Cure Depression

News

Only the Good Die Young

• Fast-acting Drug to Cure Depression

News

Credit Conspiracy

• Fast-acting Drug to Cure Depression

News

Off the Radar

• Fast-acting Drug to Cure Depression

News

Nothing’s Sweeter

• Fast-acting Drug to Cure Depression

News

Tech Twenty-Nineteen

• Fast-acting Drug to Cure Depression

News

The Shutdown of a Lifetime

• Fast-acting Drug to Cure Depression

News

Twitter commotion between Kanye West and Drake

Fast-acting Drug to Cure Depression