Popular sayings can be misunderstood, have multiple meanings

Some sayings just never die. I can guarantee many things we say today were once popular in the decades prior to ours. Many of them are the cutesy, cliché quotes that are used in everyday conversations. Some of these well-known sayings, however, can be a double-edged sword.

“Everything happens for a reason.”
Probably the most cliché quote ever. But hey, it got me through some tough times. And I’m sure it’s helped you cope with things, too.
The universe has a way of working things out.
If it’s meant to be, then it most likely will be. When that’s going to happen? I don’t know. But it will. It might require some patience, dedication and hard work, but I’m a firm believer that everything will work out eventually.
Unfortunately, though, that doesn’t give anyone an excuse to act like a complete imbecile just because they think “Everything happens for a reason.”
“It’s the little things.”
I’ll be the first to agree that it’s the nice, little things people do for you that can make a bad day so much better. For example, I was just having a really tough week a few weeks ago. Naturally, I started venting about it to my friend, telling her how I didn’t know how I was going to make it through the rest of the week without having a mental breakdown. The next morning at school, she was waiting for me at my locker with my favorite Sonic drink, a raspberry Sprite.
My day instantly got better. See? The little things do matter.
Unfortunately, it’s also the little things that can destroy a day, as well. For me, it’s when people don’t use their blinker. I mean, really? They’re there for a reason. Use them — preferably before you start braking.
 “It’s not what you say, but how you say it.”
It’s so true on so many levels. The tone of voice used when talking to someone can affect the rest of their day, whether you know it or not.
Good moods are contagious. So, if you were to come up and talk to me all happy and excited, chances are I’ll be happy and excited as well, thus putting me in a good mood.
But if you talk to me like I’m a five-year-old, well, chances are I’m going to give you a dirty look and walk away. Then I’ll probably complain about it to my friends, which will most likely put them in a bad mood, too.
See what you did? One snarky little comment and you’ve put a damper on five people’s days, just like that.
Now, I’m not saying I always speak with the sweetest tone of voice — trust me, I don’t.
I’m sarcastic and blunt in just about everything I say. But being sarcastic and blunt is completely different from being condescending.
“Honesty is the best policy,” and “The truth hurts”
One thing that really grinds my gears is when people mistake honesty for being mean. No, I’m not saying this because I want you to hate me, or I want you to go cry in a corner. I’m saying this because you need to know. Plus, if I lied to you, I’d have to use so much effort remembering the details and making sure everyone else involved knew the lie, as well. Honestly, that’s way too much work.
Everyone deserves to know the truth. No exaggerations. No omission.
Trust me, if I could spare your feelings, I would.
But sometimes, that’s not possible. So it’s time to suck it up, accept the truth and move on with life. Because, well, there’s no point in dwelling in the past.

Jansen Hess, Sports Editor
This is junior Jansen Hess’ second year on the Tiger Print staff and it’s her first year as the sport’s editor. She plays varsity soccer, manages both the boys’ varsity soccer and basketball teams, participates in BIONIC and Relay for Life, is a Tiger Mentor, and a member of Quill and Scroll Honor Society as well as National Spanish Honor Society. Jansen loves to spend her time hanging out with friends, watching movies, reading, and listening to music. She is a die-hard KU fan and is in love with Disney movies, especially The Lion King. She wants to thank her friends and family for putting up with her and all her sarcasm.