Students should get involved in school, maintain balance

We all have that friend who slides into class just as the 7:45 a.m. bell is ringing. Then, he or she is whipping out of the parking lot before the rest of us have even left our lockers each and every day.
If that’s you, my question is simply: why?
There is such a large variety of activities, clubs and sports available to take part in at Blue Valley.
From Art Club to Yoga Club and baseball to volleyball, there are plenty of ways to get involved in our school.
Chances are, there is some activity here you would enjoy. Go to a meeting or two, see what it’s about and keep up with it if you truly enjoy it.
If you are interested in something that isn’t already a club, start one.
All you have to do is fill out the form in the office. You will need a faculty member to sponsor the club and other information like the location and time of meetings for your application. Submit forms for administrative approval in the office.
One major piece of advice I would give to all students, but especially freshmen is this: Don’t let your friends limit what you do with the four years of opportunity high school will bring you.
Last year, I wanted to join certain clubs and activities, and my friends were interested in many of those, as well. Then, when I was thinking about participating in other things they didn’t want to do, I decided not to do them, as well.
In no way was my decision their fault, but they definitely impacted it.
If you are thinking about trying a new club, activity or sport, go to a meeting and see what it’s about, regardless of whether your friends are doing it, too. If it turns out that you do enjoy the activity, you’ll make new friends while taking part in it.
On the other hand, don’t join clubs and activities solely because your friends are doing them.
Find what you love to do, and go for it.
We all know that person who does anything and everything, arriving at school early and not leaving until at least 5 p.m., filling every minute with club meetings, sports practices and other various extracurriculars.
It’s great to do a variety of things and be well-rounded, but let’s be real.
Know where to draw the line when you are doing too much, or else you’ll find yourself extremely stressed out.
If you feel weighed down with all the various activities you are taking part in, I would definitely evaluate what your priorities are.
If you’re there because you truly enjoy it, then it’s probably a good use of your time.
But if not, there are only so many minutes in the day. You might consider doing something else.
It’s all about finding balance.
Get involved, but pick and choose what you really want to devote your time to.
Above all, don’t let your high school years fly by without getting involved with a few extracurriculars. They will improve your school experience that much more.

Sally Cochran, Editor in Chief