Time Flies

Treasure Every Moment

Maddy Kang, Staff Writer

I remember as a clueless 5-year-old I couldn’t wait to be a grown-up 16-year-old.

And now I’m 16 and I wished my 5-year-old self would have slowed down and taken it all in.

Time flies. As cliche as it sounds — it does. I wish I wouldn’t have spent lost time in my youth wishing and waiting for things that would eventually come when I was ready for them. I think that’s something we do too often — we hope for things too much for the future that we forget about the present.

And now, instead of being able to go to recess, get lost in a daydream and go to playdates, I’m hours into homework and barely have time to relax on the weekends — all because I wished to grow up too soon.

It’s almost a sense of nostalgia. I miss my childhood. I miss being curious about the little things. I miss when I lost track of time because I had so much fun doing whatever I was doing and exploring the unfamiliar.

I never thought I would be writing these words, but I feel like I took sometimes in my childhood for granted and completely forgot to soak up the experience. But what would a child know about truly enjoying a moment? Nothing, at all.

So learn from me — enjoy every moment. Every. Single. One.

Don’t waste your time wishing for the next thing because then you will continue on hoping for the next thing, and the next thing, until the only thing you do is live your life just trying to make it through this day, this week, or this month, until years have flown by right before your very eyes.

Make the most of your time. Tell people you love them, learn to say yes…and no. Eat the big slice of cake and listen to that voice inside your head telling you to slow down because you’ll look back on all of the memories you made and smile, even when the wave of nostalgia washes back over you.

About the Writer
Maddy Kang, Staff Writer

Maddy Kang is a junior staff writer for “The Tiger Print.” She plays varsity soccer and is involved with Tiger Mentors, Student Council and the Environmental...

• Time Flies

Opinion

Dogs that Deserve Better

• Time Flies

Opinion

Jammin Out…But With What

• Time Flies

Opinion

Cake vs. Cupcake

• Time Flies

Opinion

Where Do Babies Come From?

• Time Flies

Opinion

Letter from the Editor

• Time Flies

Opinion

Even Your AirPods Can’t Block Out This Story

• Time Flies

Opinion

Bringing Out the Big Guns

• Opinion

Staff Ed: Security should not solely be justified by the possibility of future threats

• Time Flies

Opinion

We’ve Got Spirit How ’bout You?

• Time Flies

Opinion

Happily Ever After High School

Time Flies