Time Flies

Treasure Every Moment

Maddy Kang, Staff Writer

I remember as a clueless 5-year-old I couldn’t wait to be a grown-up 16-year-old.

And now I’m 16 and I wished my 5-year-old self would have slowed down and taken it all in.

Time flies. As cliche as it sounds — it does. I wish I wouldn’t have spent lost time in my youth wishing and waiting for things that would eventually come when I was ready for them. I think that’s something we do too often — we hope for things too much for the future that we forget about the present.

And now, instead of being able to go to recess, get lost in a daydream and go to playdates, I’m hours into homework and barely have time to relax on the weekends — all because I wished to grow up too soon.

It’s almost a sense of nostalgia. I miss my childhood. I miss being curious about the little things. I miss when I lost track of time because I had so much fun doing whatever I was doing and exploring the unfamiliar.

I never thought I would be writing these words, but I feel like I took sometimes in my childhood for granted and completely forgot to soak up the experience. But what would a child know about truly enjoying a moment? Nothing, at all.

So learn from me — enjoy every moment. Every. Single. One.

Don’t waste your time wishing for the next thing because then you will continue on hoping for the next thing, and the next thing, until the only thing you do is live your life just trying to make it through this day, this week, or this month, until years have flown by right before your very eyes.

Make the most of your time. Tell people you love them, learn to say yes…and no. Eat the big slice of cake and listen to that voice inside your head telling you to slow down because you’ll look back on all of the memories you made and smile, even when the wave of nostalgia washes back over you.

• Time Flies

Opinion

5 ways to boost creativity

• Time Flies

Opinion

Happy

• Opinion

Summer Bummer

• Time Flies

Opinion

Pain is temporary, GPA is forever

• Time Flies

Opinion

You Are an Artist

• Time Flies

Opinion

Schools should shift to hands-on learning

• Time Flies

Opinion

“When life gets overwhelming, do your best to let go of things you can’t change.”

• Time Flies

Opinion

“Get excited about the little things that bring you joy. If it gets you eager for school, it’s worth celebrating.”

• Time Flies

Opinion

“No, I didn’t peak in high school — because with that mindset, my life will go downhill.”

• Time Flies

Opinion

“I’ll miss the familiarity of how high school works and the teachers who helped shape who I am, but I’m ready to go.”

Time Flies