Our Future. Our Decision.

Teens need to speak up, talk to their parents about political differences

Claire Powell, Staff Writer

Ever since you were little, you always wanted to be just like your mom or dad — whether it was dressing like them, walking like them or even trying new foods because they liked it, but times have changed.

Looking back on recent elections, we’ve seen parents and their children declare their political opinions. You would think they would choose the same side, but some studies say otherwise.

According to the USA Today, school children chose Hillary Clinton over Donald Trump in a nationwide mock election, yet Trump won the actual presidential election.

You would think the children would have chosen the same candidate as their parents, but according to the American Sociological Association, fewer than half of children in the United States reject their parents’ political party. They actually found that the more politics arise in a family discussion, children will correctly identify their parents’ political party, but does not increase the odds of them agreeing.

Though many teenagers don’t agree with their parents’ political affiliations, they hardly ever speak up about it. They’ll sit in a corner and let their parents believe they are in total agreeance. It isn’t until adulthood when they feel they can say what they want to say, and even then, they may never reveal it to their parents.

But teenagers shouldn’t have to wait to become an adult to share their political opinion. The future is youth and not their parents.

Even though you can’t vote now, you will be able to soon. You should never have to feel ashamed because you don’t agree with your parents. You should be able to decide what you want to believe and which candidate, for president or mayor, you trust more.

Having the same political opinion as your parents makes life a little easier, but believing in something because you believe in it is a sign of individuality and that you are no longer a little kid, but a young adult who takes pride in themselves and their opinions.

About the Writer
Claire Powell, Staff Writer

Claire Powell is a sophomore staff writer for “The Tiger Print.” Her job is to speak to clients on the phone, about quantities and types of copier...

• Our Future. Our Decision.

Opinion

Where Do Babies Come From?

• Our Future. Our Decision.

Opinion

Letter from the Editor

• Our Future. Our Decision.

Opinion

Even Your AirPods Can’t Block Out This Story

• Our Future. Our Decision.

Opinion

Bringing Out the Big Guns

• Our Future. Our Decision.

Opinion

Staff Ed: Security should not solely be justified by the possibility of future threats

• Our Future. Our Decision.

Opinion

We’ve Got Spirit How ’bout You?

• Our Future. Our Decision.

Opinion

Happily Ever After High School

• Our Future. Our Decision.

Opinion

Against Animal Agriculture

• Our Future. Our Decision.

Opinion

The Problem with Promposals

• Our Future. Our Decision.

Opinion

Ending a Year

Our Future. Our Decision.