New Year, New Macs

How useful are the new, district-provided MacBook AIr's?

Back to Article
Back to Article

New Year, New Macs

Liya Patel, Staff Writer

All throughout school, I have dreamed of a life where I didn’t have to transfer all my documents to google docs or email them to myself. A life where I could just bring my work home with me. Now, thanks to the new Macbook Air’s, that dream has become a reality. But is it too good to be true? After returning from winter break this past January, the Blue Valley District has provided all students with a MacBook Air. Many students were excited to have a free tool to take home, including myself. But after exploring the new laptops, many students have started to realize all the disadvantages that come with it. So I think this raises the question of “how reliable are the laptops?”, and I feel safe to say that they aren’t very reliable. As a student involved in a tech-based class, I was surprised to find that I was denied access to many of the apps that I need to function in my classes. If we are given laptops for us to take home and use, then I think they should allow us to use the apps that let us do work at home. What is the point of having a laptop to bring home if I am restricted from so many useful apps? Along with that, the laptops don’t allow us to alter features to personalize and better our experience with it. For example, students are not able to change their backdrops, download music, or visit certain sites that help us in school. Now, I’m not going to be unreasonable and say that the laptops are totally useless, because they take a great amount of pressure off students’ backs when they go home to do work. I just think that students should be allowed to use the laptops to the best of their abilities.

About the Writer
Liya Patel, Staff Writer

Liya Patel is a sophomore staff writer for “The Tiger Print.” She runs for the cross country team and enjoys going to friday night football games....

• New Year, New Macs

Opinion

Dogs that Deserve Better

• New Year, New Macs

Opinion

Jammin Out…But With What

• New Year, New Macs

Opinion

Cake vs. Cupcake

• New Year, New Macs

Opinion

Where Do Babies Come From?

• New Year, New Macs

Opinion

Letter from the Editor

• New Year, New Macs

Opinion

Even Your AirPods Can’t Block Out This Story

• New Year, New Macs

Opinion

Bringing Out the Big Guns

• Opinion

Staff Ed: Security should not solely be justified by the possibility of future threats

• New Year, New Macs

Opinion

We’ve Got Spirit How ’bout You?

• New Year, New Macs

Opinion

Happily Ever After High School

New Year, New Macs