It is time for Blue Valley to stop letting its seniors feel alone in shouldering the weight of applying to college

Amira Dvorak

Every fall, millions of high school seniors begin the process of applying to post-secondary schools. 

For many students, this process actually starts over the summer between their junior and senior year, or even earlier, but for most it starts in August. 

With it comes a whole slew of deadlines, essays, letters of recommendation, unofficial transcripts, official transcripts, early decisions, housing deposits, roommate searches, and so on and so on. 

CollegeBoard recommends every student apply to between four and eight colleges. It would seem logical then, even with the help of the CommonApp, that these prospective students would have plenty of time and resources to submit applications to schools. 

And what better place than Blue Valley to prepare them, right?

Since freshman year, maybe even since middle school, seniors were continuously informed that going to Blue Valley means they will be so unbelievably prepared to go to college, but by the time they reach junior year, it begins to feel like none of that was true. 

Suddenly, the incoming senior class is burdened with the entire weight of the college system, all at once. Where is the direction they were promised?

Many may choose to blame BV’s counseling staff, but in reality, the problem is much wider than that. 

Without real programming and instruction to students before they reach their senior year, the task of meeting that Nov. 1 deadline is terrifying. 

Using Tiger Time to show students Naviance or Xello is great, but it is essential to also instruct them on how to create a resume, write a college essay, schedule college visits and how to handle the constant questions from everyone around them about where they are going to go next year. 

It is time for Blue Valley to stop letting their seniors feel alone in shouldering the weight of applying to college and live up to its motto: education beyond expectations.

|
This staff editorial is the representation of the opinion of The Tiger Print staff.

About the Contributors
Isaac Hudson
Isaac Hudson, Editor-in-Chief
Isaac Hudson is a senior and one of the editors-in-chief this year. It is his fourth year on staff. He is also the president of BV’s Latin Club, and a member of Quill and Scroll. Outside of school, Isaac enjoys hiking, hanging out with his friends, and driving a car that has working air conditioning. He also believes that this year’s newspaper sweatshirt should have featured a picture of President Richard Nixon at the Watergate scandal press conference.
Amira Dvorak
Amira Dvorak, Staff Writer
Amira Dvorak is a senior and it is her first year on staff. She is looking forward to getting involved with the community and giving a voice to the students at BV. She is the vice president of Creative Writing Club and a member of NHS and NEHS. Outside of school, Amira works at a coffee shop and a bakery, and she enjoys reading, writing, music, and spending time with friends.