Suffering for Entertainment

Reality TV can be harmful to its participants, watchers
Suffering for Entertainment

From a very early age, I was exposed to TV — more specifically, reality TV. For years I watched several of these shows; however, as I have gotten older I have felt as though something was off when watching them.  

One of the first shows that I ever watched was “Dance Moms,” a reality TV show that follows the competition team, starting at the ages of 6 to 9, of the Abby Lee Miller Dance Company. 

While viewing the show as I grew up, I began to notice the conditions that the girls in the show were being placed in. The competition team members were being exposed to several amounts of suffering both mentally and physically. 

The girls would be subjected to extremely harmful verbal and mental abuse from Miller as well as put their bodies through severe amounts of physical stress dancing every day for several hours.

Several members of the team have talked about their experience on the show and how it has affected them and continues to affect them. One member, Chloe Lukasiak, posted a TikTok with a caption that explained how she did not remember parts of the four years she spent on the show because the experience was “so traumatizing” for her. 

As I began to find all of this information about these girls’ experiences, I wondered how individuals could be put through, as well as sign up for, extreme amounts of suffering for the entertainment of others. 

I have also begun to wonder how people could watch others go through these events and not be concerned about their well-being but still use it as a form of entertainment. When mass media presents these shows as fun things to watch and laugh at, it causes society as a whole to become desensitized to the pain that humans may go through, both mentally and emotionally.

Another important example of this is the show “Love Island.” “Love Island” is a show where a group of single adults move into a villa together and must find love within the group in order to win a cash prize of 50,000£ or about $63,000. 

“Love Island” has been viewed by the public as a fun and harmless show where people go to find love and possibly be able to win money as well. What people have not realized, with this as well as several other shows, is that these contestants are being placed in an environment that is extremely toxic to where it can cause severe mental health issues. 

This was shown when it was reported that three different people, including the original host of the show, took their lives, which has since created a debate about the ethics of reality TV. From the drama that is sparked on these shows, whether it be between the participants or created by the producers, to the constant beauty standards that have to be upheld, these individuals are being subjected to situations that can cause mental health issues in order to give people a show to watch.

Reality TV has immense power over people, especially younger generations, so much so that it can blind them into not seeing the suffering that these participants are going through. These shows have the ability to make people become invested in these individuals to the point where they are more concerned with if they win than if they are in a safe situation. 

While it is good that society is beginning to become aware of what they are watching, there still needs to be safety regulations, protocols and overall care given to these individuals so they do not have to endure pain for the pleasure of others. 

Instead of watching more and more individuals become victims of being harmed for entertainment, people should start to stand up for these participants and demand the environment they are put in is one they will have protection and peace while filming their respective shows. 

Jessica Toomay
Jessica Toomay, Staff Writer
Jessica Toomay is a Senior and it is her first year on staff. While on staff, she is also a member of the Choir, Chamber Show Choir, NHS, and Wigs Out. Outside of school, she works at Red Door, reads, listens to music, and spends quality time with her friends and family.