Go Outside

Student discusses benefits of enjoying fresh air.
Go Outside

It’s Tuesday. Or Wednesday? Maybe it’s Monday. I know I’m pretty sure it’s January.

During the winter, all the days blend together. I look outside my window and it’s gray, cloudy and miserable, and inside me I’m gray, cloudy and miserable.

All I want to do is sleep. The idea of doing work makes me want to cry. I’m convinced I have the hardest life in the history of ever.

My state of mind, like many other individuals, is directly correlated with the weather. Because of this, winter is my least favorite season. I’m inside all the time, it’s freezing and somehow my teachers want me to do work when I haven’t seen the sun in three weeks. I try not to show it, but my mood is infinitely worse.

Why do I feel like this?

It’s common to find that the weather does have an impact on emotions. Although it’s very difficult to find strong, scientific evidence and explanations, it’s impossible to deny for many people, there is a connection between the weather and mood.

Beyond being miserable in the cold, the weather affects my mood in other ways. On a sunny day when I can actually spend time outside instead of being cooped up in my house, I’m notably happier and less irritable.

According to the American Psychological Association, there are cognitive benefits to spending time in nature. In today’s time especially, when we are bombarded by our electronics, it’s important to actually get outside and disconnect. Going out in the world can serve as a much-needed break from our typical, busy lives.

Obviously, emotions aren’t as simple as whether or not it’s sunny outside. There are many other factors that affect our feelings, but the weather and the importance of going outside and connecting to nature shouldn’t be ignored when thinking about our mental health. I know that the solution to our problems will rarely be to just “go outside,” but it still is important to consider the consequences of essentially rotting inside and the possible benefits of occasionally getting some fresh air and sunshine.

I look outside again. The sun is up.

Ashling Bahadursingh
Ashling Bahadursingh, Staff Writer
Ashling Bahadursingh is a junior and it is her second year on staff. She likes patterned socks, reads books she doesn't understand to sound smart, and wears too many Queen shirts. She likes the color green. A lot. She never shuts up and likes to write opinion pieces because she wants people to know what she thinks, constantly.