Staffer predicts close final regular-season game against BV West on Nov. 1

Blue Valley Tigers (6-2) vs. Blue Valley West Jaguars (5-3)
Overland Park, Kan.
Friday, Nov. 1, 2013 at 7 p.m.

Last Week:
Blue Valley 47-3 Blue Valley Southwest — Those who braved the freezing rain witnessed another laugher in favor of the Tigers. BV remains undefeated against Southwest, who saw the game get well out of hand before halftime. BV has outscored its last three opponents by a combined score of 117-20.
Blue Valley West 56-35 Pittsburg Dragons — BV West finished off Pittsburg in the second half, and dealt a sledgehammer blow to the Dragons playoff aspirations. BV West improved their State ranking to 11 and is now staring a down to the wire playoff battle in the face.

State Rankings:

Blue Valley High – 4
Blue Valley West – 11

Last Meeting: 2012
Blue Valley West 45-21 Blue Valley: BV, to put it simply, got it’s doors blown off by an overpowering BV West attack that ran up a 24-0 lead by the 2nd Quarter, and carried a 17-point lead into halftime. Things looked bleak right out of the game as BV West scored on it’s first play from scrimmage. Most BV fans filed out the DAC at the half, while West fans partied long into the night, celebrating their first defeat of BV in over five years.

What this game means:
Blue Valley- Revenge, confidence and playoffs. BV was rocked in humiliating fashion last season at the hands of BV West, and would love nothing more than to return the favor. Heading into the playoffs, BV can give itself one final confidence boost with a fourth consecutive victory. BV also has a playoff birth all but locked up, and it would take an absolutely crushing loss in order for the postseason to be even remotely endangered.

Blue Valley West- The only losses for BV West have been against playoff teams, and each loss was by a touchdown or less. If the Jaguars fall hard tonight, they will have to hope that BV Northwest manages to lose to a winless Blue Valley North, which is a completely un-ideal situation. BV West will be looking to win in a game that promises to be close, possibly coming down to the very end.

Blue Valley will win if: They come focused and confident. Blue Valley has the talent on both sides of the ball to beat West at home, but they cannot look ahead to the playoffs, or they will get tripped up. The Tigers must be and should be motivated to clinch their third district title in four years, and those who were on the field for last year’s debacle will be starving for revenge on the final regular season game.

Blue Valley will lose if: They play similar to the way they did against BV Northwest and Bishop Miege, both frustrating losses against teams similar to West, at home. Said play includes stalled drives, leaky defense, dropped passes and turnovers. BV West has an offense that will not hesitate to capitalize off of any gifts they receive from BV.

Prediction: This is a dangerous game for BV, who cannot look ahead to the playoffs. Neither team has lost this season by more than nine points, and the game appears to be an entertaining matchup on paper. A close game will be played between two roughly even teams. Team defense will prevent either side from pulling away until late, when the home crowd and a clutch defense will lift BV to a satisfying victory over a hated rival.

Final Score Prediction: Blue Valley 28-21 Blue Valley West

Matt Antonic, Sports Editor
Activate Search