Staffer shares first-hand experience of 2013 World Series, provides overview, highlights of all six games

The atmosphere is unlike any other stadium.
The smell of fresh hot dogs.
The chatter of excited fans.
Fenway Park.
The most beloved baseball stadium in America that fans have enjoyed attending for over 100 years.
This year Boston’s very own made it to the World Series.
And I was lucky enough to experience it first-hand.
The roads leading to Fenway were blocked off and crammed with fans.
Yawkey Way (the road the stadium is located on) was filled with food vendors selling everything from warm pretzels to fresh-off-the-grill hot dogs, hamburgers and brats.
ESPN’s MLB Tonight was filming live next to the team store and people were jumping up and down trying to get on TV.
As you entered the gates into Fenway, the historic atmosphere engulfed you.
It was hard to encompass everything.
The yelling of fans filled the tunnels as they made their way to their seats.
The National Anthem, sang by Mary J. Blige, made it’s glowing impression on every person in the stadium.
Fighter jets flew over the stadium as the anthem came to an end and viewers roared as they did.
The Red Sox took the field and pitcher Jon Lester threw out the first pitch.
The first game of the World Series had just begun.

Game 1
WP: Jon Lester
LP: Adam Wainwright
Homeruns:
Matt Holliday (1)
David Ortiz (1)
After walking leadoff hitter Jacoby Ellsbury, Wainwright received one out, and next hitter Dustin Pedroia had a single. Ortiz up next hit a grounder to second base and Pedroia was called out. John Ferrell argued about the controversial call, won it, and Pedroia stayed on second. Up next, Mike Napoli hit a double to left center and Ellsbury, Pedroia and Ortiz scored. Next big play was in the top of the 9th.  Holliday hit a bomb above the Green Monster to put the Cardinals on the board.
Final- Red Sox 8 Cardinals 1

Game 2
WP: Michael Wacha
LP: John Lackey
Homeruns:
David Ortiz (2)
With a scoreless first three innings, Holliday led the fourth with a triple to center field. Eventually Holliday would score off of a soft ball to second baseman Pedroia to put the Cardinals up 1-0. Bottom of the 6th, Pedroia walks with one out and the inevitable bomb to left center field from Ortiz put the Red Sox up 2-1. Cardinals would eventually score two more in the top of the 7th from multiple Red Sox errors. Red Sox could not pull through as Cardinals closer struck out Gomes, Saltalamacchia and pinch-hitter Daniel Nava on 11 pitches.
Final: Cardinals 4 Red Sox 2

Game 3
WP: Trevor Rosenthal
LP: Brandon Workman
Cardinals started off early with two RBI singles in the bottom of the first to put them up 2-0. Pinch-hitter Mike Carp put the Red Sox on the board in the fifth grounding into a fielders choice making it 2-1. Next inning, Daniel Nava singled to drive in another run for the Sox. Bottom of the 7th, Holliday, with a line drive single past Red Sox shortstop Xander Bogaerts, resulted in two additional runs scored for the Cardinals to make it 4-2. Bogaerts had an RBI single to bring home two runs to tie the game at 4-4. Bottom of the ninth. Jon Jay hits a grounder to second baseman Pedroia who makes a sensational diving play only to throw home to get Melina out. Catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia then throws to third baseman, Will Middlebrooks. Running from 2nd, pinch-hitter Allen Craig slides into Middlebrooks resulting in a tussle only to find Middlebrooks face down on the ground slowing down Craig from running home. Third base umpire, Jim Joyce called obstruction on the play and home plate umpire, Dana DeMuth said Craig would’ve scored without the obstruction resulting in a Cardinals win.
Final: Cardinals 5 Red Sox 4

Game 4
WP: Felix Doubront
LP: Lance Lynn
SV: Koji Uehara
Homeruns:
Johnny Gomes (1)
Red Sox pitcher Clay Buchholz, who was suffering a shoulder injury, was removed from the game after the 4th inning with five combined Red Sox relievers behind him holding the Cardinals to one run on three hits for the rest of the game. Top of the 6th, Pedroia with two outs singled with Ortiz following him with a walk. Then, outfielder Gomes came up to bat, worked the count to 2-2 and hit a three run homer that would become the game changer. Red Sox now led the game 4-1. Red Sox closer, Koji Uehara was able to shut the Cardinals down in the 9th for a 4-2 win.
Final: Red Sox 4 Cardinals 2

Game 5
WP: Jon Lester
LP: Adam Wainwright
Homeruns:
Matt Holliday (2)
With back to back doubles from Pedroia and Ortiz in the 1st, Boston took a strong lead 1-0. Holliday tied it in the 4th with a homerun to center, which would be the only run Lester would allow in his 7 ½ innings pitched. Wainwright was evenly matched with Lester until the 7th inning when a ground rule double RBI from David Ross and RBI single from Jacoby Ellsbury scored runners Bogaerts and Stephen Drew. Uehara came in for the save after striking out all four Cardinals he faced in the 9th.
Final: Red Sox 3 Cardinals 1

Game 6
WP: John Lackey
LP: Michael Wacha
Homeruns:
Stephen Drew (1)
Shane Victorino opened the game with a three run double in the third inning and four runs batted in for Boston. Ortiz was walked four times and scored twice. John Lackey pitched for 6 scoreless innings with the help of Junichi Tazawa and closer Koji Uehara. With this win, the Red Sox won the 2013 World Series for the first time at Fenway Park since 1918.
Average ticket cost for Game 6: $1,860

Bridget Howard
Bridget Howard, Staff Writer
This is sophomore Bridget Howard’s first year on The Tiger Print staff as a staff writer.  She loves to write and hopes to become a sports journalist in the future.  Outside of the newspaper room, Bridget is involved in competitive soccer for Sporting Blue Valley, JV/Varsity soccer for BV, JV cheerleader for BV Cheer, STUCO representative, French club member and a volunteer at Sonflower Bakery. She loves to spend time with her family and friends. Bridget is looking forward to an exciting year on The Tiger Print staff.