A Diamond in the Rough: Senior plans to continue baseball career at West Point University next fall

Strike One.
Strike Two.
Home run.
After narrowing his decision down to two schools, Dartmouth University and West Point University, senior Brandon Lee decided to continue his love for baseball in college, playing center field at West Point this upcoming fall.
“West Point kind of just sprang up on me,” Lee said. “Over the summer, I went to a tournament in Ohio, and they were the first college scouts to contact me. At first, I was like, ‘Oh, OK.’ But it grew on me. My official visit was the deciding factor.”
Playing since he was a little boy, Lee said baseball has definitely changed for him.
“I’ve been playing for around 10 years,” Lee said. “It’s gotten more serious. The first time I started playing was like first grade, and then it was just baseball — it still is, but it’s just gotten more serious, and you’ve got to know your stuff.”
Like any baseball fanatic, Lee began playing for a well-known local club team, Building Champions, in hopes to continue his baseball career in college.
“I play for Building Champions over the summer,” Lee said. “I’ve played with them since freshman year, and then sophomore year I played for the school. I’m on a showcase team, so I just play in tournaments. But, I took a break sophomore year to play with the school summer team, which was fun. Then, I went back and played with the showcase team my junior year, which was when the college scouting started.”
During his official visit to West Point, Lee met the two assistant baseball coaches, Anthony DeCicco and Matt Reid.
“The head coach at West Point just recently got fired, but I never actually really talked to him,” Lee said. “When I went on my visit, he wasn’t there, and I think it was because he was pending investigation. I only talked to the assistant coaches, and they just recently hired a new coach.”
During the baseball off-season, Lee hits and throws at the Building Champions baseball facility.
“I’m just doing batting lessons and throwing on weekends,” Lee said.
Lee said after he completes his four years of education, he will fulfill West Point’s five year military requirement.
“I do plan on going into the military — everyone does who goes to West Point — and I’m both excited and nervous,” Lee said. “I don’t think I’m going to choose something front line, but [the option’s] there. Military service is after the four years of studying. Then, the next four years are serving with the first year educating about strategy. Academic-wise, I plan on either going into law or medicine.”
Lee said he would consider a career in baseball post-college.
“When I went on the visit, they said it’s really possible for me to continue in baseball past college,” Lee said. “If it came to it, I wouldn’t say no, but I’m totally cool being a doctor or a regular profession.”
Lee said many important people helped him become the player he is today.
“My dad [influenced me] because he played baseball and football, and I play baseball and football,” Lee said. “He’s always been a good coach — we always worked on stuff together. My freshman year, my coach was Jerry Cope. I liked him a lot, and he helped me learn a lot of baseball. Also, Jeremy Jones — I’ve played with him a little bit more this past year, and he helps a lot with mechanics of the game. And then, Deryll Kronk — he’s one of the funniest coaches and [the] best coach I’ve had, and he had a lot of good baseball knowledge that he passed on.”

Bridget Howard
Bridget Howard, Staff Writer
This is sophomore Bridget Howard’s first year on The Tiger Print staff as a staff writer.  She loves to write and hopes to become a sports journalist in the future.  Outside of the newspaper room, Bridget is involved in competitive soccer for Sporting Blue Valley, JV/Varsity soccer for BV, JV cheerleader for BV Cheer, STUCO representative, French club member and a volunteer at Sonflower Bakery. She loves to spend time with her family and friends. Bridget is looking forward to an exciting year on The Tiger Print staff.
Activate Search