March Madness: Staffer reviews, predicts future for Kansas Jayhawks, Missouri Tigers in Big 12, SEC Tournaments

KANSAS JAYHAWKS: Embiid injury looms large over KU hopes
The University of Kansas basketball coach Bill Self’s simple words cast a long, complex shadow over the Kansas Jayhawks March Madness dreams, changing the entire outlook on the Big 12 Tournament and the NCAA Tournament. In a Monday night statement, Self revealed that star center Joel Embiid is out for the Big 12 Tournament with a nagging stress fracture in his back. Even worse for KU, Embiid is not guaranteed to return for the NCAA Tournament. Embiid, the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year, is a critical factor for KU’s success, especially on defense. His play down low was a major thorn in the side of opponents all year, many of which struggled to rebound against him or prevent easy scoring opportunities. It is clear that KU does not resemble a Final Four team without his presence on the floor, and may see its hopes of building on a 10th straight conference title in the NCAA’s fall short again.

In the Big 12 Tournament:
KU pulled out a winner in a wild game yesterday versus Marcus Smart and the Oklahoma State Cowboys, with a final score of 77-70. Andrew Wiggins went off for another big game, scoring 30 points helping the Jayhawks to victory. Today, in the Big 12 Tournament Semi-Finals they face the #16 Iowa State Cyclones, whom the Jayhawks have beaten twice this season. However, Iowa State catches a break with KU center Joel Embiid being out with a back injury, as the Cyclones throw a small, quick lineup on the floor. This matchup will be a tossup. Can Iowa State cool down the red-hot  Wiggins? Can KU slow down Iowa State’s Melvin Ejim and dominate down low? Tune into ESPNU at 6 p.m. to watch what looks to be one of the best games of the conference tournaments this year.

MISSOURI TIGERS: Win, and they’re in
It all comes down to this. A season filled with disappointment and dismay is coming to a close. Mizzou has had quite an up and down season, finishing eighth place in the cesspool that is SEC Basketball. Lackluster efforts doomed Missouri late in the season; the Tigers lost 3 of 5 entering the SEC Tournament. Yesterday, Mizzou won the day with a nail-biting 91-83 win over Texas A&M in double-overtime. Today, Mizzou faces the number one Florida Gators, winners of 23 straight and the favorite to win the National Championship. Mizzou will have a punchers chance if its guards, led by Jabari Brown, can heat up against Florida’s defense, the best in the country. Mizzou will essentially be in the NCAA Tournament with a win, and a loss will send the Tigers packing for the NIT. Life on the bubble isn’t much fun. Watch ESPNU at 12 p.m. today for the potential upset.

Matt Antonic, Sports Editor
Activate Search