Wrestling The Stereotypes

Sole girl competes on predominantly male team

Kyle Elmendorf, Staff Writer

On the morning of a wrestling meet for Blue Valley, the entire wrestling team weighs in at the boys locker room to determine their weight class for the competition.

However, this season, after the boys clear out of the locker room, the coaches weigh in one final wrestler, one who isn’t traditionally seen on a high school wrestling team: a girl wrestler, senior Megan Hatfield. Her decision to sign up for wrestling came from her trend of trying a different sport every year.

“Eighth grade, I did basketball, freshman year I did soccer, sophomore year I did track and junior year, I did softball,” she said.

She said her decision to wrestle also came from people telling her she couldn’t do it as well as her own interest in wrestling.

“I thought it would be a good experience to have,” Hatfield said. “My dad said I would get Impetigo, and my mom said it’s weird to wrestle boys, so I really wanted to prove them wrong. One time freshman year, I wrestled  [a boy on the wrestling team] and he couldn’t beat me. I actually pinned him.”

Hatfield said she initially had some difficulties becoming comfortable on the team, but they weren’t permanent.

“I was afraid none of the guys would like to wrestle me and it was true at first,” Hatfield said. “I would stand there awkwardly and then make one of the freshman go with me, but now they want to wrestle me because we’re good friends.”

Wrestling has been one of the most difficult sports for Hatfield to partake in. She said there are some disadvantages to being the only girl on the team.

“I’m in the locker room by myself, and it gets kind of lonely,” Hatfield said. “It’s super awkward because on meet days, all of the guys weigh in, then I get to go in. I get to go in the boys locker room, which is kind of exciting. It’s just kind of uncomfortable because I have to wait for them all to get out, and then I go in and weigh.”

She said her main goal is to go out and win some matches against the boys.

“I won a match at our first tournament, which was super exciting,” Hatfield said. “There’s also a girls State, so I’m hoping to go to that.”

Hatfield said she hopes to serve an example for other girls who are told they can’t compete with the boys.

“There’s a lot of good wrestlers out there,” Hatfield said. “I’m not one of them yet, but I hope someday to be. I also want to be a role model for girls who come after me that we as a people can do anything that boys can do as a people.”

About the Contributors
Kyle Elmendorf, Staff Writer
Kyle Elmendorf is a senior staff writer for “The Tiger Print.” He primarily enjoys writing about sports and occasionally takes pictures. Inside of school, he is a member of the cross country and tennis team, and outside of school he enjoys working. Next year he hopes to go to college and pursue a degree in...
Nick Lamberti, Design Editor
Nick Lamberti is a senior and the design editor for “The Tiger Print.” He enjoys graphic design, true crime podcasts, 35mm film and drag queens. He’s also bad at writing web bios. “Silly rabbit, tricks are for kids…” — Kill Bill Vol. 1
  • Wrestling The Stereotypes

Sports

Tiger Football- First Two Weeks

• Wrestling The Stereotypes

Photos

Fall Sports Night Photo Gallery

• Wrestling The Stereotypes

Sports

2017-2018 Sports Review in Photos

• Wrestling The Stereotypes

Sports

Swim Summary

• Wrestling The Stereotypes

Sports

Varsity Baseball Results, Highlights

• Wrestling The Stereotypes

Sports

Game day at the K

• Wrestling The Stereotypes

Sports

Varsity Baseball Continues Winning Season

• Wrestling The Stereotypes

Sports

Varsity Baseball Game at the K Photo Gallery

• Wrestling The Stereotypes

Sports

Tiger Lacrosse Defeats Rockhurst

• Wrestling The Stereotypes

Sports

Spring Sports

Wrestling The Stereotypes