This Product is Cruelty-Free

A basic guide to go animal friendly

Kate Oudejans and Josie Cuthbertson

Various companies that perform animal testing say there is a purpose behind doing so, which is to test on animals to see if it is safe for humans. However, there are other options besides animal testing to insure ingredient safety. One commonly used alternative is vitro testing. In vitro, meaning “in glass,” is a form of testing products in which studies are done using cells, blood samples, or other bodily tissue. Computer modeling, or In silico, is a form of testing in which computer models are developed to replace animal experimentations and accurately predict specific experiments by creating virtual simulations and modeling.

CRUELTY-FREE BASICS

Cruelty-free is defined as products not tested on animals. Products can either display a certified logo or be labeled clearly on their products that it has not been tested on animals. To have something be “cruelty-free” can come across as a gray-area morally.

CERTIFIED LOGOS

CRUELTY-FREE CHECKLIST

FAST FACTS

As stated by PETA, Around 100 million animals are killed each year during animal testing. Some animals are specifically bred to be stuck in labs.

31 countries, according to NAVS, including all of the European Union, have laws against animal testing.

According to Humane Society International, about 100-200 million animals undergo animal testing each year.

Cruelty-free topicals often use more natural and non-toxic ingredients rather than harsh chemicals.

Animal testing is a leading cause in environmental pollution and in one year alone produced 1.5 million pounds in waste, according to NEAVS.

BRAND EXAMPLES

About the Writers
Kate Oudejans, Staff Writer
Kate Oudejans is a junior staff writer for “The Tiger Print.” She enjoys learning about astrology, watching Law & Order: SVU, spending too much money on skincare products, and playing with her dogs, Cooper and Valor. In her free time, she likes to draw and worry about what the future holds. Kate hopes one day...
Josie Cuthbertson, Staff Writer
Josie Cuthbertson is a junior staff writer for “The Tiger Print.” She enjoys listening to music, eating Taco Bell, and spending time with her two cats. She works at Freddy’s on 135th street. She drives a minivan and likes Mario Kart. She constantly looks like she is on the verge of tears but that’s just her...
  • This Product is Cruelty-Free

Entertainment

Ways to get Spooky for Halloween

• This Product is Cruelty-Free

Entertainment

Makeup Insider

• This Product is Cruelty-Free

Entertainment

Muhammad Ollie

• This Product is Cruelty-Free

Entertainment

True Crime Podcast: Kansas City Edition

• This Product is Cruelty-Free

Entertainment

Blue Valley Bloggers

• This Product is Cruelty-Free

Entertainment

Hole In the Wall

• This Product is Cruelty-Free

Entertainment

The Rise of a New Industry

• This Product is Cruelty-Free

Entertainment

The Best of the Worst Movies to Watch

• Entertainment

Finessing Art College

• Entertainment

Summer Bucket List

This Product is Cruelty-Free